Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Yes, Ruth, it's high time for an update...

...but here's why I haven't gotten around to one lately:

Oct. 31--Halloween
2 weeks later--Dallin's birthday
2 weeks later--Adam's birthday & Thanksgiving
3 weeks later--Ryan's birthday
4 days later--our anniversary
3 days later--Christmas
1 week later--New Year's
3 days later--Ryan's baptism
1 week later--my birthday

And that doesn't include Christmas parties and choir concerts and pack meetings and presidency meetings and shopping and visiting teaching and laundry and cleaning and decorating and baking and dishes and grocery shopping and, sigh, all the rest. Oh, I realize that many of these big family events at this time of the year are mostly my own doing, but it's a little late to change any of them. :-) (What was I thinking?!) So look for more blogging from me in January, maybe, when I can breathe again. I do have some things that have been on my mind to blog about, when I get around to it. Here's a teaser you can ponder until I get my thoughts written down: How do you lose yourself in service, without losing yourself?

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At December 10, 2008 at 12:57 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Where did you find the time to write even that much? ;) Good luck with it all. I can't wait to read more about your thoughts on service.

Happy birthday to everyone on that long list! Why is it that kids all seem to come the same time of year? And apparently in our family, it's around the holidays??

 
At December 10, 2008 at 9:28 PM , Blogger Charlotte said...

Boundaries. I've learned quite a bit about boundaries over the past few years, and I'm a big proponent of setting them.

 
At December 11, 2008 at 9:01 AM , Blogger Missy said...

Just use my mantra...."I am not a doormat....I am not a doormat. Oahmmmmmmm....I am not a doormat, I am not a doormat..."

Yeah well it doesn't really work for me either, but it helps when I am stressed to the point of self imposed time outs.

 
At December 12, 2008 at 11:00 AM , Blogger Jo said...

Happy Holidays and Happy Birthday to all! As far as your teaser...I haven't found the answer yet, but I am still happier when doing service even if it consumes me at least I think so....

 
At December 12, 2008 at 4:29 PM , Blogger The Bullknitter said...

Know how to say no. I haven't mastered it yet either.

 
At December 13, 2008 at 10:03 PM , Blogger OUR HOUSE said...

Nice schedule Harmony. I get it now, I do, and I'll look forward to January. Teaser - One of my favorite quotes is Pres. Kimball - "In the midst of the miracle of serving, there is the promise of Jesus, that by losing ourselves, we find ourselves...The more we serve our fellowmen in appropriate ways, the more substance there is to our souls...Indeed, it is easier to 'find' ourselves because there is so much more of us to find!" I love that. There have been certain people in my life who have been great examples of service to me, including Laurie, Missy, and you. If you could for a moment see and recognize what I do in you, and how serving others has expanded your soul, I don't think you'd ever feel lost again:)

 
At December 18, 2008 at 9:27 AM , Blogger Jared Farish said...

Harmony, your schedule makes mine seem empty! Well, not really, but I do understand the craziness! A thought about service. It doesn't always take a lot of extra time to serve, but a little extra thought or effort can go a long way. For example, I am doing an angel tree for three families in my ward. One of the gifts was for a 3 yr old boy, a bottle of bubbles. When the person who took that tag brought the gift to my house, not only had she bought bubble, but had filled an entire basket with items that would thrill the boy on Christmas morning. With a little thought she went the extra mile, and by so doing made a special christmas memory for someone else, and fill her own spiritual bucket as well. It certainly warmed my heart!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home