Mamma Mia Fun!
I don't see chick flicks very often. I live with five boys, for one thing. And I find not all, but many chick flicks just cheesy, stupid, and/or degrading. However, my aunt called yesterday and asked if I would like to see a movie with her and my disabled cousin for my cousin's 23rd birthday. They were going to see Mamma Mia. Now this was not a movie I would have been inclined to watch of my own volition. The plot didn't really appeal to me, nor was I drawn by the Abba songs, (although they can be pretty catchy). But since I was invited, and since it appeared to be a fairly safe, if very chicky flick, I agreed.
It was fun! I found myself wanting to sing and dance and let my hair down a bit. Jeff can vouch that this is NOT my normal state. I don't dance and I am not a let-my-hair-down type of person. My inner child is buried pretty deep. But there are times when I think being too stiff is a weakness of mine, times when I wish I was a little less serious, a little more fun-loving, a little more yellow and a little less blue (if you're familiar with the pop psychology color code stuff). I know life can't always be a song and dance, but this movie made me want to try to enjoy life a little more. As I watched the characters--particularly Donna, played by Meryl Streep--kicking up their heels and having fun, I got a rare taste/reminder of a kind of joy that I need more of in my life. Pierce Brosnan should probably never try to sing or dance in public again--his inner child must be buried deep too--but I loved Meryl Streep's performance. Be warned that there was some suggestive sexual innuendo-type stuff and less-than-moral messages in this movie--not stuff I appreciate or take lightly. But I was grateful for the messages that spoke to me and my inner child, the one who really does like to sing and dance and have some fun!
Labels: fun, inner child, movies, reviews


6 Comments:
Ditto.
Hmm... I have trouble keeping my inner child in! I sing, dance and embarrass James in public a few too many times, but it's a survival technique and I figure that taking life too seriously will lead to a short one so maybe I don't need to see this movie, but you've piqued my interest!
There's nothing like an Abba song to make you want to dance. I haven't seen the movie yet, but just watching the commercials made start moving, and I had to put a couple of Abba songs on my playlist on my blog. Don't you ever dance with your boys? I love dancing with my kids - and it's great exercise:) The key is to not be afraid to make a fool of yourself, because, inevitably, you WILL make a fool of yourself.
I Loved Mama Mia! If nothing else it made me relize that I need to stop more often and have fun with my kids now before they grow up and think I'm too crazy. And that we girls just need a good laugh and a bit of fun craziness sometimes to stay sane. I saw the movie 2 times once with my best friend and once with my mom, aunts and sister-in-law. I was laughing all the way thru it both times and everyone else was too! My best friend and I decided it was good therapy! We were a bit disappointed in the morals that were being taught but tried to not let it kill the fun!
Thanks for the cool little trucks you sent for Aidan's Birthday...He loves them and carries them around with him! We missed ya at the party!
I saw this movie with a bunch of girlfriends and we all had the time of our lives! I have to agree with everything you put in your post, including the part about Pierce Brosnan. :) Great, great movie!
so fun you enjoyed this harmony! I am a chick flick lover and it was a little cheesy for me, but by the end thought eh..not too bad and like you was singin along and wantin to dance!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home