Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Scripture Journal

My cousin Kim asked about my scripture journal. It's just a three-ring binder of lined paper that I keep next to me when I'm reading my scriptures. I start a page for each chapter I read. I write down thoughts I have about what I'm reading, helpful cross references, questions about things I don't understand. I can't remember where I got the idea, but I started it almost four years ago at a time when I was feeling the need to recommit myself to scripture study (January of course :-). I had lost count of how many times I had read 1st Nephi, so I started in Mosiah (with King Benjamin's speech--my favorite). It's slow-going--I'm just finishing Ether. Much as I try, I don't read every day, and writing slows the reading down, but I feel like my study is more meaningful, more personal, and more worthwhile. Occasionally I get writing and my thoughts just takes off, connecting things from the scriptures with what's going on in my life or in the world. I'd like to think that this kind of scripture study helps me be more open to the Spirit and to personal revelation, but what I notice mostly is that it helps me keep my mind on spiritual things and more in tune with what is really important--the gospel of Jesus Christ and my efforts to draw nearer to Him. Since I'm almost done with the second half of the Book of Mormon, I'm thinking about journaling about the most recent General Conference talks too, before I start with 1st Nephi again.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At October 22, 2008 at 7:22 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

My mom just started doing this and James has done it in the past. I think it's a great idea. I've heard of other people doing it as well. We ask our questions through prayer and find our answers in the scriptures. (For the most part) What a great way to remember all of the spiritual experiences you have when reading them. I for one don't write these down as much as I should.

 
At October 22, 2008 at 9:00 AM , Blogger LaurieSue said...

I started keeping a scripture journal back in college, and I have found that it really helps me to liken the scriptures to my own life. It's a way of feasting rather than snacking, and I do find that I receive more answers when I am actively seeking and writing down my impressions.

 
At October 22, 2008 at 5:43 PM , Blogger OUR HOUSE said...

I kept a scripture journal on my mission and loved it. I really need to start that again. Maybe at the beginning of the year

 
At October 22, 2008 at 11:52 PM , Blogger The Bullknitter said...

thanks for the great idea, Harmony.

 
At October 27, 2008 at 3:23 PM , Blogger maren out my laundry said...

My bishop had me do this for a chapter in alma and it was amazing what it did for me. But I worried about using a TON of paper. LOL great idea, I should start doing it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home