Monday, September 15, 2008

Digging to China

I promised Jeff I'd blog about his latest project. Plus I've had requests for pictures. (Thanks Nathan.) I even figured out how to post a video. (Yay me!) We have two cracks in our foundation that resulted in some flooding in our basement earlier in the summer. After a little research, we decided the most effective way of repairing the cracks is to dig out the foundation and patch with tar paper and asphalt emulsion (tar). Jeff bought a heavy pick-like tool, called a San Angelo bar of all things (interesting what you get when you Google "San Angelo bar"), to break up the clay-like dirt. Then he digs it all out with a shovel. He's getting some good upper-body work in. We calculated he probably lifted and threw down that 17 lb. bar more than 1500 times in a four hour period the other day. He finished the first hole a couple weeks ago. It's probably 4' x 4' square and about 6 feet deep. He's now working on the second, but got slowed down by school starting. Hopefully we'll get it all done and patched before the snow flies.

Starting the second hole


Jeff in the finished hole


Dallin "helping" in the second hole



P.S. The $2.00 I spent on plastic tools for the kids was totally worth it!

P.P.S. By the way, have you ever wondered what would happen if you actually dug a hole through to the other side of the earth? Assuming no air friction, no spin of the earth, and no hot magma in the middle, here is a NOVA podcast that shows you what would happen.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At September 15, 2008 at 11:42 AM , Blogger Anjuli Fry said...

You know that doesn't look like much fun!! Go Jeff! Your boys are so cute!

 
At September 15, 2008 at 1:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm interested to know if your do-it-yourself patching worked.

 
At September 15, 2008 at 1:31 PM , Blogger Harmony said...

Carolyn, we won't know until we get excess amounts of water in the backyard again, but I'm not willing to tempt fate by putting in new sheetrock and carpet until we at least attempt patching. We got an estimate to have a company patch from the inside by injecting polyurethane, but also heard anecdotal evidence that it doesn't work.

 
At September 15, 2008 at 1:39 PM , Blogger Nate said...

Harmony, you know you guys have to leave a time capsule or something in the bottom of those holes before you fill them up. Maybe you could bury Jeff's Eclipse in there.

 
At September 16, 2008 at 10:32 AM , Blogger Jo said...

The plastic tools for the Kids is a great idea! My Kids love to take theirs out to help their Dad all the time. It keeps them busy and that's good enough for me. Gook luck on the holes and patch job!

 
At September 17, 2008 at 7:25 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

What a project! Good luck! It looks like you've got some great helpers to get the job done quickly! ;)

 
At September 17, 2008 at 11:21 AM , Blogger maren out my laundry said...

looks like quite the summer project! I am getting tired just thinkin about it ;) Hope it gets done and solves the problem!

 
At September 17, 2008 at 1:08 PM , Blogger Shelley said...

I love that you looked up digging to China! LOL! I hope all of the work fixes the problem with the foundation!!!

 
At September 19, 2008 at 9:00 AM , Blogger OUR HOUSE said...

Now Jeff can have shoveling arms to match his biking legs. LOVE the video! I don't know how you guys would have got the work done without Dallin's help. So cute.

 
At September 26, 2008 at 9:02 AM , Blogger The Bullknitter said...

The family that works together, stays together. And that looks like a heck of a lot of hard work.

 
At October 6, 2008 at 8:43 PM , Blogger The Eyre's said...

Hey there Packers! Just thought we'd confess to checking out your blog. I can't remember if I've ever commented before. Anyhow, we're followers and finally joined the blog world ourselves. Take care! Brad & Joelle

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home