Saturday, May 30, 2009

My Saturday Project

I haven't been very motivated to blog lately. Sorry about that. Today though, I started--and finished!--a project that I am pretty proud of, so I thought I'd brag a little bit. By way of explanation, my little Dallin loves to be outside. Even more, he loves to "work in the dirt." I think he saw his daddy digging holes last summer and decided that was a cool thing to do. So Dallin digs in my front flower bed. This has not been a huge problem, since there are no flowers in it at the moment. However, it gets Dallin very dirty and tends to get dirt and sometimes mud tracked in my house. It's also in the front yard where I have a hard time keeping an eye on him unless I am outside with him, which I just can't be as much as he wants to be out there. Last Saturday he rode his big wheel all the way down our street and into the busier cross street. A neighbor's daughter-in-law stopped her car and, not knowing who he belonged to, brought him back to the neighbor's house. In the meantime, I had gone looking for him up at the park east of our house--the opposite direction from where he had gone. Not finding him there, I started to panic. I was very relieved to find him in my neighbor's arms in my front yard when I got back. I wasn't so relieved to hear he'd been found in the middle of the street, but my prayers for his safety were answered, and I didn't have to panic for too long.

Okay, so that was the long explanation for why I spent most of today building a sandbox. I'm hoping to trade dirt for sand, and to entice him to stay in the backyard where I can fence him in and keep an eye on him out the kitchen windows.


I bought the sand at a local landscaping company--six 5 gallon buckets full for $5. Then we trekked to Home Depot where I actually had an employee ask if I needed help. Then he actually helped me--unusually good customer service for that store, in my experience. I got treated 2x6 boards, cut into four foot lengths, and weed-blocker fabric. Then we went home and got to work. Adam sanded the ends of the boards. Then we all got our painting clothes on and painted them the same color as the trim on our house. While the paint was drying, we dug out some sod by the back fence under the maple tree and covered the area with the weed-blocker fabric. Then I screwed the boards together and put them in place. My only regret is that I got 2x6 boards instead of 2x8's. It would have been better if it was a little deeper. Except for the painting, Dallin was not excited about this whole process. But when we started dumping the sand in, he was all over it. I think he played out there for close to two hours--until I carried him kicking and screaming into the house for dinner. Success! We'll see if it keeps him out of my flower bed though.

Here are a few more pictures of my project and my boys:








And, just for fun, a picture of Jared in the middle of his haircut tonight. If his hair weren't so curly he would have wanted to keep the mohawk. Glad I didn't have to fight that fight!

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At May 31, 2009 at 5:36 AM , Anonymous Carolyn said...

Great project Harmony! We had a sandbox a few years ago. It was great fun, except Amy has a compulsion to eat sand and dirt all the time. So we had to get rid of it. I hope this box will keep little Dallin safely home!

 
At May 31, 2009 at 10:04 AM , Blogger Charlotte said...

Good for you! What a great project!

Those pictures of your boys are just adorable.

 
At May 31, 2009 at 10:07 AM , Blogger Tamary said...

So fun! I bet all your boys will enjoy it.

 
At May 31, 2009 at 1:44 PM , Blogger Jeri said...

good for you. My kids LOVE our sandbox...it is good for HOURS of fun for all ages. The only down side is all the sand that comes into the house. It's totally worth it though...

 
At May 31, 2009 at 5:47 PM , Blogger Holly said...

I'm glad to know I am not the only Mom who has lost her kids because I only have two eyes, and way more kids!! The sandbox was SUCH a great idea. I hope for your sake that it is a ROARING success!

 
At May 31, 2009 at 10:44 PM , Blogger The Bullknitter said...

Yayy for sandboxes and chain link fence. I lost Miranda the other day. She was over at a neighbor's playing with their dog. I hate that feeling.

 
At June 1, 2009 at 11:49 AM , Blogger Jo said...

What fun! We have been talking and planning for a sandbox since we moved out here to Vernal. I think you have inspired me to take the project on by myself. What fun pictures of your Boys! Are they so glad school is out and Summer is here?

 
At June 3, 2009 at 3:19 PM , Blogger Wendy said...

I'm quite impressed, even though I shouldn't be. This sounds right up your alley and with four boys and a busy husband....ya do whatcha gotta do! I bet your boys think you are the best mom EVER!

 
At June 4, 2009 at 11:42 PM , Blogger OUR HOUSE said...

Your pictures are so great! You are really getting good. I love looking at your hobby blog, and I am green with envy about your class.

 
At June 5, 2009 at 10:20 AM , Blogger Janet S. said...

I understand why you would build a sandbox because you spent 5 months playing in the "sandbox" that was our yard in the desert of 29 Palms CA from Nov 1970 to April 1971. Your dad built your first sandbox on 3rd East in South Salt Lake when you were 2 years old. I remember you playing there for hours all alone because Mercy was only 8-9 mo at that time. The sandbox in Brigham City was huge and attracted all the neighbor children. Congratulations on building a source of pleasure for your boys. You are smart to put it on the back fence. All the sand will be left in their tracks before they get to your back door!

 
At June 12, 2009 at 2:19 AM , Blogger Paula said...

Wow, Harmony, what a great idea! I'm sure he's loving it! He doesn't ever try to eat it? Ben has finally grown out of that stage, I hope, but he used to eat dirt and sand by the pound!! I never could figure that out.

 
At July 15, 2009 at 9:41 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

What great pictures of the boys and what a story! i would have been panicky too! Way to go on the sandbox!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home