Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Mother's Day Gift from the Heart

My kids were cute about Mother's Day today. Ryan made me a recipe card holder at Cub Scouts, and a personalized plastic mug at school. Jared gave me a small plant from preschool. They all had made various homemade cards for me too. Jared was the cutest though. Earlier in the week he had mentioned to me that he had a Mother's Day present for me in a shoe. I assumed it was something he was doing at preschool and encouraged him not to spoil the surprise. He agreed, but seemed pretty excited about it. So today I started opening up the gifts and cards and he says, "Mom, where's the shoe?" I said, "Jared, I don't know. You never gave me the shoe." He immediately took off looking for it, and came back a couple minutes later and gave me one of his shoes, which I think had been in the basement. I said, "Is there something in your shoe for me?" When he said, "Yes," I reached in and pulled out a little gray zipper thing that he's been keeping coins in. I think it says Freedent on it and it velcros around your wrist. He told me, very sweetly, "I didn't need it any more, so I gave it to you." (At some point he had gotten it from one of his older brothers who also "didn't need it anymore.") He was so cute about it. It was a great gift given straight from his sweet, five-year-old heart. I thanked him and gave him a big hug, and he seemed pretty pleased. But here's the funny part. About a minute later two-year-old Dallin comes to me with one of his Winnie the Pooh shoes. I took it and said, "Are you giving me a present in your shoe too Dallin?" He said, "Yes," so I reached in and there was nothing there. I said, "Dallin, it's empty. Is there supposed to be something in your shoe for me?" He immediately picked up the little zipper thing Jared had just given me and started stuffing it in his shoe. So I helped him put it in, then I pulled it out and told him thank you too. By this time Jeff's parents and I could hardly keep from laughing. I told my mom about it on the phone tonight too, and she said I should write it down. So I just did.

Happy Mother's Day to my wonderful mom, to Jeff's wonderful mom, and to all the other moms I am proud to call friends and loved ones!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At May 11, 2009 at 7:41 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

That is too funny! Oh kids are hilarious!!! Thanks for sharing this sweet moment with us!

 
At May 14, 2009 at 7:59 PM , Blogger OUR HOUSE said...

Priceless!

 
At May 21, 2009 at 6:13 PM , Blogger Jo said...

How funny and cute! Kids are the Best!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home