Learning about our heritage
In fourth grade this year, Adam has been studying Utah history--from the dinosaurs to the Indians, to the pioneers, to the railroad. Last week all the fourth graders dressed up as Indians, pioneers, trappers, or railroad workers and presented a program about all they've learned. I was impressed with how much they have learned, and with how well they sang and performed. And I was really grateful for good schools and good teachers that are dedicated to helping my kids learn.
Adam got to blow the train whistle on one of the train songs.
Adam's fourth grade teacher (who is also our neighbor and Ryan's Primary teacher) recently expressed her frustration to me about all the fun Utah history field trips they had to cut this year because the school district limited field trips due to the economy. One of the field trips they normally take is to This Is the Place Heritage Park in Salt Lake City. I'd never been their either, so last Saturday Grandma and Grandpa took us there for the afternoon. It was their opening weekend for the season, featuring a Mountain Man Rendezvous. The weather was beautiful and the kids had fun--Adam especially I think, since so much of what we saw related to what he had studied. He even knew who all statues were.
Dallin playing on the rocking horse in Brigham Young's home. I was surprised the guide let him touch it, let alone ride it.
Adam and Ryan and Jared got their faces painted.


5 Comments:
How fun!! I've only been there on a Sunday when some of the homes were open, but not everything!! I hope you noticed that there's a Cedar City Tithing Office building. Someone donated enough money to have a replica built; we don't know who it was. If we did, we'd ask them to help us save the Hunter House. Great pictures.
What a fun fun trip! I've been there before but it was quite awhile ago! I was probably in my early teens. I'm so glad you and the boys had a great time. School's almost out there, isn't it?
It looks like your boys had fun. I'm sure that Adam loved being able recognize all the statues. This is the kind a trip that we are always dragging our kids to. I haven't made it to This Is The Place yet, but we did see a recreation of the driving of the golden spike at Promontory a couple of weeks ago. Our kids liked that.
Ok. Your boys are so cute.
What fun! I keep hearing about how neat "This is the Place" is but haven't made it there yet, either. We always end up at the Zoo and don't have enough energy afterward to make it across the street. I know...lame. Anyway it's great Adam is learning so much about Utah too.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home