My Musical Heritage
In 1974 my mom was the 3rd Place Winner in the Relief Society Short Story Contest for her story, "From Milk to Music." It was subsequently published in the February 1975 Ensign. "From Milk to Music" is the fictionalized account of how my great-grandmother milked cows and sold the milk to neighbors during the Great Depression in order to save money for a piano so her daughters could learn to accompany the hymns at church. This is part of my musical heritage. This is part of why I bought a piano last week.
Although I took piano lessons for about eight years of my childhood, I don't really play the piano. I regret quitting before I really got any good at it. Because of those piano lessons though, I know how to read music, and I can pick out at least the melody of many hymns and Primary songs. But I didn't buy the piano for me. I bought the piano so I can pass on my musical heritage to my boys.
The funny thing is, Jeff has been giving me a hard time about how he really didn't have a choice when I asked him if I could spend money on a piano. But guess who sat down and played with it for 45 minutes after we got it in the house. And guess who found the sheet music for Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" on the Internet, printed it, and was trying to pick it out when I came home from the gym this morning.


8 Comments:
This comment has been removed by the author.
In my defense (seems like I am always defending myself here)
Scene: Harmony on Phone, talking to previous piano owner (and bishop's wife)Jeff sitting innocently at the dinner table, oblivious to what is going on.---
HARMONY "Well, I should probably talk it over with Jeff, since it is over $20, but I have pretty much already made up our. . .er. . .my mind, so I will let you know."
I do not believe there is a husband out there--and certainly no husband that reads this blog that would have been able to tell their wife no at that point.
A) he would be in the doghouse for months at home and
B) he would forever be know in the ward as that uncivilized, insensitive cretin who doesn't want his kids to learn music.
So it isn't even about whether it is a good idea or not (it is) but about the manner in which it was "discussed" before the purchase.
Oh and guess who got to move it?
By the way, Moonlight sonata is much harder than it looks (four sharps--ouch)
lol! Music, like laughter, is just contagious! How exciting to have a piano and to pass that heritage onto your kids! I can't wait to start my kids on music lessons. My fondest memories of Grandma Seegmiller were sitting in the living room listening to mom play and grandma sing those beautiful old songs!
Hooray for you guys! We bought a piano several years ago because I always felt bad, as Adam played the piano after church every Sunday, that he didn't have a piano to enjoy. It's been nice for that reason to have a piano in our home, but it's also been nice to have our kids in piano lessons. They probably don't agree, though. Aahh, if they could only look into the future about 20 years and see the regret if they don't stick with it. I still plan to relearn the piano someday.
Jeff, don't worry about getting in the doghouse. Remember sleeping on the couch is fun, it's kinda like camping!
I love our piano and think every home should have one, but getting kids to practice often leaves me a little hoarse...
Some of my happiest memories are of my family gathered around the piano-- my sister and I would sing, my brothers would play their trumpets, and I would accompany. When I got married, my parents told me the piano was mine, and it has been one my most prized possessions ever since, traveling from California to Florida and then Texas. Now that we're overseas in Saudi, my brother's family has the piano, and it makes me happy to know that my niece and sister-in-law are playing it.
I think it's great that you have a piano, and I hope your family will enjoy gathering around it for many years to come!
My parents gave us their piano in January, and I cherish it. I think music education and the love of Good music are some of the most important things we can try and help our children develop.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home