The Force is Strong with This One
Jared has been thinking and talking about his five-year-old birthday party for over a year now, ever since he attended his friend's pirate party last February. He's been through countless themes, most of which I quietly hoped he would forget or change his mind about (Power Rangers, for instance). We recently rented the animated Clone Wars movie though, and that was a good thing. He finally settled on Star Wars for his party--thank goodness. Star Wars was doable. Jeff and I actually know a thing or two about Star Wars.
I did a little research on the Internet (birthdaypartyideas.com in particular) and came up with ideas, decorations, games, etc. that were fun, but not too extravagant. I made no-sew Jedi tunics out of unbleached muslin, with brown fleece belts (about $10). Jeff made light sabers out of 1/2" PVC pipe and swim noodles cut in thirds (another $10). Then we did a short Jedi training course--keeping balloons in the air with lightsabers, walking a balance beam, blaster training (shooting a picture of a battle droid with Nerf dart guns), and popping bubbles with lightsabers. Then Darth Vader ("Jared, I am your father") showed up and kindly allowed all nine boys to beat on him. After Vader was defeated, the Jedis took on the Death Star (soccer ball pinata painted with gray and black spray paint). It was a little tougher to take down--the sabers weren't quite up to the task and had to be switched for a broomstick. By the time the Death Star was destroyed and plundered, everyone had worked up a bit of an appetite. While the Padawan Pizza was cooking, we played a bit of "Yoda Says" and watched Weird Al Star Wars music videos on YouTube. Then we washed down the pizza with Darth Maul Drink (Strawberry Kool-aid). Jared got some great presents (Legos, Sunday shoes--thanks Grandma Janet, Transformers, and an Eon Kid action figure). After opening presents we had Lightsaber Cupcakes, Darth Vader drinks (root beer floats), and Yoda Sodas (green sherbet in Sprite). The boys all seemed to have a good time, and Jared loved it. I am so glad. I did stress a bit over this one--I try to make my 5-year-olds' parties memorable. My biggest regret was that I couldn't run the party and take pictures at the same time. I got a few, but not many good ones. Oh well.
Jared is my buddy. He gives the best hugs and makes me smile. He's curious and fun and loves to learn. He's a sweet kid, and I'm so glad he is my son. Happy Birthday Jared!


7 Comments:
Sounds like a lot of fun. Wish we would have come now.
Wow! Sounds like he had an awesome day! Happy Birthday, Jared! Sounds like you went to a lot of hard work to make a great party! I hope you don't mind if I take some of your ideas? Corbin has been requesting a Star War's party too and I'm clueless what to do. You did a great job! I don't know a 5 year old that wouldn't have had a great time at that party.
What a great party! I think homemade ones are the best. I'm copping out on my little one's 5th birthday. She asked to go to Build-A-Bear and I gave in.
That sounds like one awesome party! I would have fit right in. hehe! Thanks for the website too. I'm no party planner so that's a great resource for me when we eventually throw parties for the boys.
You throw the best parties Harmony! You should go into business.
What fun! You are great at organizing things! Happy Birthday day Jared, #5 is huge!
I also wanted to let you know I enjoy your "What We Are Up To" updates!
Wow. What a neat party! I'm very impressed at all the little details and cool activities.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home