Saturday, February 28, 2009

Welcome Home, and Thank You

Yesterday a neighbor of ours returned home from a year's deployment in Afghanistan. He was with the Utah Army National Guard, 142nd Military Intelligence Battalion, the same battalion Jeff was in for 3 1/2 years. His son and the Boy Scouts in our ward put flags in every yard on our street to welcome him home. As I was running errands yesterday, there were two other flag-lined streets within a mile of our house. I couldn't stop the tears when I saw a huge "Welcome Home Daddy" sign. I am grateful for the men and women who are willing to serve our country, but I have just as much respect for their families who endure without them for long stretches of time. They serve our country too.

5 Comments:

At March 1, 2009 at 5:21 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

That is so true. What a wonderful post!

 
At March 1, 2009 at 9:43 PM , Blogger Nate said...

Amen.

 
At March 1, 2009 at 11:20 PM , Blogger The Bullknitter said...

I love US patriotism.

 
At March 3, 2009 at 8:08 PM , Blogger Holly said...

Thanks for you post and the great picture. I too, am incredibly grateful for the sacrifices of the men and their families to keep us safe.

 
At March 8, 2009 at 4:19 PM , Blogger OUR HOUSE said...

When my dad came back from the desert at the beginning of the war, our neighborhood did the same thing for him. He was so touched that he cried (and he NEVER cries).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home