"A good guy"
Our trip to Idaho was long, but good. We survived the long drive thanks to Cyndi, my friend and lifesaver, who kindly lent us her portable DVD player. Ours died a few months ago. The kids can make the three hour drive to Cedar without it, but the seven hours to Boise would have been ug-ly.
Grandpa Jo's funeral was really nice, a fitting tribute to a good man. Jeff's uncle did a great job with his life sketch, telling some stories and interesting things about Grandpa that I didn't really know, such as how he took pride in his yard and garden, saved lots of things he thought could be useful and often found uses for them, and could fix almost anything. He wasn't ever rich or famous, wasn't a war hero, but he loved his family and always did nice things for them. As Uncle Mark said, he was just "a good guy." I remember Jeff's mom bringing Grandpa and Grandma Jo to visit me in our little basement apartment on University Avenue in Provo about a year-and-a-half after we were married. Jeff had been gone to ROTC Advanced Camp at Fort Lewis, Washington for a long six weeks and was about to come home. I told Grandpa and Grandma Jo about my plans to surprise him with a night in Park City after I picked him up from the airport. Grandpa Jo pulled a twenty dollar bill out of his wallet and gave it to me, with instructions to use it to do something fun with Jeff. That was such a sweet gesture that sticks out in my memory when I think of him. After the dedication of the grave, I took a minute to remind my Ryan that his middle name is Grandpa Jo's name, and that I hope he will grow up to be a good guy like Grandpa Jo was.
We had a nice visit with aunts and uncles and lots of cousins. Every single member of Jeff's mom's family was there. It was a little chaotic, but still so fun to be all together. I am grateful for God's plan of happiness, a plan that makes funerals joyous family reunions rather than mournful tragedies, because we know that through the sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus Christ, we will be with our loved ones in the next life. What a comfort.
While there, I also got to visit with Obara Shimai, one of my Japanese missionary companions, and her family. We went to church with them, and then had dinner at their home afterwards. Her husband was also in my mission, and they have four cute children now. We've stayed in touch over the years, but it was fun to see them again after so long. Kiyomi is the Primary president in their ward, and since I'm also in Primary, I sat in on their Singing Time and Sharing Time. I got a couple ideas for our ward, plus it was fun to see her in action again--her mannerisms and her love for and dedication to the Gospel. I felt a little bit like Alma, happy to know she is still my sister in the Lord. (And now it came to pass that as Alma was journeying from the land of Gideon southward, away to the land of Manti, behold, to his astonishment, he met with the sons of Mosiah journeying towards the land of Zarahemla. Now these sons of Mosiah were with Alma at the time the angel first appeared unto him; therefore Alma did rejoice exceedingly to see his brethren; and what added more to his joy, they were still his brethren in the Lord... Alma 17:1-2).
Labels: family, In memoriam, missionary


5 Comments:
One of my favorite things about funerals is that I nearly always seem to learn something new about this person that I thought I knew so well.
Glad your trip was so enjoyable.
The knowledge of the Gospel truly does change everything about death - we are so blessed to have that knowledge. I have been to a couple of funerals where that knowledge was not present, and I've never been so sad for people. But the LDS funerals I've been to have been happy, life-affirming, and a celebration of the people we love.
It was good to see you and your family in Idaho. I'm glad the boys all got to play together too. Corbin askes about all of your boys often asking when he gets to play with them and what their doing at their house. It was nice to get to know more about Grandpa Jo, and I agree he was a pretty neat guy! I don't think we'll be able to go camping with you all at the first of August since Nate had to ask for time off for the Funeral. It would be tough for Nate to take off any more from either job for a bit, if he got it off at all. I hope you all have fun though and wish we could make it.
I'm so glad everything went well. it's always so nice to see old friends isn't it?
I'm so grateful for the gospel and the comfort it brings! i also thank the Lord that He gave us memories to recall those kind gestures and happy moments!
We're glad to hear about Obara Shimai, too. She was a joy to have as a visitor from your mission field and we were delighted to see her romance with Jason begin, as I remember that weekend. Our children's missionary companions have also blessed our lives through the years and are continuing still! Mom S.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home