Hectic
I don't even know where to start catching up, so I guess I'll just jump in. I learned a couple things from our busy, busy June. First, don't sign the kids up for the 9:30 a.m. class of the first session of swimming lessons. It was just too chilly. Most days after lessons I had to send someone into the boys' locker room to get Adam and Ryan out of the warm showers. And we made hot cocoa several times to warm us up when we got home--in June! The second session went a little better--summer finally showed up for real, and I changed their lessons to the 11:50 a.m. class. Second, don't sign up for swimming lessons before baseball is over. We did swimming lessons every morning and baseball almost every night and tried to squeeze the rest of life in between. Swimming lessons ended two weeks ago, and baseball finally ended last Wednesday. Phew.
I thought maybe we could stop running, but it hasn't happened. We spent four days in Cedar and Glendale, visiting with my family and catching "Two Gentlemen of Verona" at the Utah Shakespearean Festival. The kids loved playing with their cousins and Jeff and I enjoyed a little down time. We caught the new Indiana Jones movie one night after the kids were in bed. It was fun and we were glad we saw it on the big screen. Jeff was a good sport to watch nine kids by himself one day while my sister and sister-in-law and I took a break to do lunch and a little shopping. The Slip-n-Slide helped! My mom provided the Shakespeare tickets. She wanted Adam and Ryan to see their first play, so we opted for a comedy. It was a little slow and not as impressive as some other Shakespeare productions I've seen, but the comic fool (Brian Vaughn) and his dog made them laugh, so they weren't too bored. I think they'll be willing to go again in the future, but we'll try to find a more exciting play to keep their interest. Of course the highlight of their weekend was the marshmallow gun fight--thanks Uncle Enoch! (I'll post photos when I get my camera software re-installed.)
I got unpacked and got the laundry done just in time to turn around and go to Jeff's parents for the 4th of July weekend. We had a great barbecue and fireworks with extended family. It's really been a blessing to be close enough to spend time with grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins again. While there though, we learned that Jeff's Grandpa Jo had slipped into a coma in Idaho. He passed away yesterday morning. We will miss him, but congestive heart failure had made his quality of life so poor for so long that his passing was a blessing. Again, I'm glad we are close enough that traveling to his funeral this weekend won't be difficult, but we're off and running--again. I have this faint hope that my life will slow down when the kids go back to school in August. Whatever happened to slow, relaxing "summertime and the living is easy"?!


8 Comments:
I was far less scheduled when I was a kid for sure. And maybe because I'm a girl and had no interest in doing sports stuff. I remember doing swim lessons for a little while. But most of my summer memories involve hanging out with friends, running around and/or being bored!
With my broken foot, we've been more bored than usual around here. I'm looking forward to school next month!
two words: INDOOR POOL. We've never heard of outdoor pools up here in the great white north! Sorry to hear about Jeff's Grandpa. The good thing is, this is the time of life when the only time you see some of your family is funerals and weddings. My grandpa's funeral turned into quite the party - and I think they like it like that. Celebrate their life - don't cry they're gone. They're in a better place anyway. My grandpa said he had lived a full life, done everything he wanted to and he was dying a happy man. That gave me a great deal of comfort, but I still miss him.
Okay, okay, you win the Hectic Award. Your prize is some Yummy Blonde Brownies. The catch is, you have to make them:) (see your previous post for the recipe).
Things have been hectic for you! I agree with you about what happened to relaxing the summer away? I feel like all we've done is try to work around Nate's work schedules to schedule another trip we can't really afford. But since we want to see our family we make it happen somehow. Thanks for your comment on my blog! I remember some of your pictures of the boys with a Flag cake and thought it was a cool idea! I wish we could have come home too, but we've had at least 1-2 trips home every month for the last 3-4 months. Thanks for the tip on swim lessons we're just getting ready to go sign up. Looking forward to seeing ya this weekend!
What happened to relaxing summers? I'd say it had something to do with 4 boys and a husband but I could be wrong! It sounds like it's been a lot of fun though. James and I will be at USF on the 15th and that's one of the plays we're seeing. I'm sorry to hear it was a little slow! It was fun to read your blog and catch up. I ope we'll get to visit soon. When are you free? E-mail me!
This is the point however, when you get to rejoice in the fact that you can now waste time you don't have blogging - YEAH!!!
We did pretty good not to overlap too much with ball games and swim lessons, but didn't do as great of a job with dance and swim, which are back to back, but I figured it was easier to go from dane to swim than to try and get dry and to dance within 10 minutes.
I haven't posted marshmallow war pictures yet either, my modem got zapped by a lightning storm and died. Luckily, Qwest replaced it for free.
Sorry to hear about Jeff's Grandpa. We missed seeing everyone at the Fourth but my kids ay we HAVE to do a UT Fourth next year! I did swim lessons a few weeks ago but here, being cold really isn't an issue :)
I can't believe that I didn't teach you about early June swimming lessons. My mom taught me!! She said she'd never sign us up for the first half of June because it turned cold right after school got out. Eventually, we took at the indoor Deseret Gymnasium instead of Liberty Park and took even in the winter a couple of times. Your swimming lessons in Brigham City were in Bro. Beatty's pool and always in late June or July. Somehow I slipped up by not passing on that information!!! Of course, it didn't matter when you lived in Texas! Harmony's mom
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home