Sunday, May 25, 2008

Happy Birthday Grandma Grape!

Yesterday we gathered with Jeff's extended family to celebrate his Grandma Packer's 90th birthday. It was a fun family event and a wonderful tribute to a very wonderful lady. I have known Grandma Packer for a little over fifteen years. I have never known anyone more full of love. Here are a couple of stories about this woman who is so dear to me.

When my son Adam was little, probably three years old, Jeff's mom and I were trying to explain to him the difference between grandparents and great-grandparents. Jeff's mom told him that Grandma Packer was his grandpa's mom, and his Grandma-Great. We thought he understood until he started calling her "Grandma Grape." In our family, she has been our Grandma Grape ever since.

One of my favorite memories of Grandma Grape happened a couple of years ago. Grandma and Jeff's mom and I were gathered around the bar in Jeff's mom's kitchen. We were chatting about family members, maybe about a cousin or someone who was struggling. Grandma's eyes teared up and her voice wavered as she told us how much she loves her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren, and what a source of joy they are to her. In that moment, I felt her love, as I have many times, and I felt just as strongly as ever how grateful I am to have married into the Packer family.

Grandma Packer is one of my heroes. When I am 90 years old, I hope that too will be a Grandma Packer like her, a matriarch of a family who knows what love is because she loves them so much.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At May 27, 2008 at 8:33 AM , Blogger OUR HOUSE said...

I LOVE that you still call her Grandma Grape - that is so great! When Cora was younger she would say "Aunt Marie and Aunt Won" (which was really Aunt Marie and Uncle Antione). Good stuff.

 
At May 29, 2008 at 10:18 AM , Blogger Jo said...

We Love Grandma "Grape" too! She is an awesome example of a true Lady and I've learned so much good from her. We were so use to calling Grandma Packer "Grandma Grape" with your Boys that when ours came it just stuck. I hope you don't mind. Even if some things were a bit stressful, it was good to see your family and everyone else too. I think the boys had a blast playing together. We're looking forward to our Camping Trip, let us know what we can do to help with anything! See ya soon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home