Are you ready to ramble?!
Have you ever sat down to blog and found yourself reading everyone else's blogs and never getting around to posting your own? Happens to me on almost a daily basis.
When we moved here, I consciously gave myself six months to get settled, get involved, start making friends, etc. Well, my six months were up in February, and I was still feeling lonely and isolated. I figured that had to be at least partially my fault, so I started taking some extra steps--inviting people over for dinner, applying for the public library board, organizing a playgroup, etc. And now all of a sudden it seems like life is busy again. (Not that I was ever bored--there are always chores to do.) The playgroup is happening one morning a week (although the weather hasn't been cooperative so we haven't had great participation). I was selected to be on the library board and attended my first board meeting this month. I was released as a Primary teacher and called as the Primary secretary and as a Cub Scout Wolf Den Leader with Jeff. Adam's baseball season started--two practices or games each week. (Ahh, you probably didn't even realize you were missing out on baseball posts, did you? :-) Being busy and involved is good for me. I'm getting to know people and I don't have much time to mope around (or to blog). But I have to admit, there have been moments lately when I've missed those empty days on the calendar.
Mother's Day came and went. I had a good one. Jeff and the boys gave me a bicycle trailer and five bars of German chocolate. Adam and Ryan also gave me the requisite homemade gifts they made at school--poems, cards, coupon books--good stuff. Jeff made a yummy dinner and Adam and Ryan helped him clean up. I played games with the kids and did some thinking about how grateful I am to be a mom and how grateful I am for the moms in my life--my mother and my mother-in-law in particular. Motherhood has been on my mind lately anyway. The other day it occurred to me that I do so much for my kids that no else would ever do. And it's not so important what those things are as it is that they have someone who loves them that much. I am not a perfect mother, but I do love my boys and I consider it a privilege to be able to use my time and energy to take care of them. I pray every day for help to be a better mother and to raise them well.
When I thought of how much I do for my kids, that led to new thoughts and realizations about how much my mother has done for me. Having kids has helped me better understand the love and sacrifice she gave me and my brothers and sisters. Adam is in his first baseball league where the kids pitch to each other. He hasn't pitched in a game yet, but I don't know how I'll handle it if he does. It is painful to watch the pitchers try their hardest just to get the ball across the plate. Sometimes they succeed, but most of the time they don't. My emotions fluctuate with every pitch, good and bad. And they aren't even my kid! My mom was the pitcher's mom for two of the seasons I played Little League. In some ways I'm sorry I put her through that. I don't know how she did it.
In other news, Dallin turned 18 months old this week. Sometimes I find myself wishing my life away. For the most part I think that is a bad habit and a foolish (albeit easy) thing to do. However, I think it is perfectly acceptable to count down and wish away the months and days until a toddler gets to go to nursery for two of the three hours of church every Sunday. Nursery makes moms and dads and toddlers so much happier on the Sabbath. Well, my toddlers at least. I know some have separation anxiety and don't do so well in nursery. I count it as a huge blessing that I am four for four on having my kids easily and happily go to nursery. Yay!
School is out in two weeks. That means I have two weeks to find a way to keep everyone from driving each other crazy all summer. I have these grand ideas of a Summer Plan, with a capital "P," that involves reading, practicing math and spelling, chores, setting and reaching goals, minimal TV, fun family activities, spending time together in the great outdoors, etc., etc. The motto of this wonderful plan will be: "Work hard, play hard." In that order. I am, however, trying to be realistic about my chances of getting anyone else to actually buy into my Summer Plan. I'm am fairly certain that I am going to have to settle for a summer plan, with a small "p." And I have two weeks to figure it out. Wish me luck. :-)
Labels: Adam, baseball, Dallin, holidays, motherhood


10 Comments:
I was just thinking the same thing, but I'm done with school on Thursday and haven't really figured anything out yet. CRAP.
I did the "Work Hard Play Hard" theme last summer. It worked GREAT for 1 1/2 weeks, then I fizzled. Sometimes I think it is such a bummer that I am the one responsible (as the mother) to keep everything going - ya know what I mean? GOOD LUCK! This summer I am going to try again. WORK HARD PLAY HARD
Hi Harmony, I love the title of this post. :) Your pitching story reminded me of this other great blog post I just read. It won't help AT ALL with your problem of reading other people's posts and not getting around to your own. http://masthead.blogspot.com/2008/05/in-which-we-see-wind-up.html
Ramble away. Your rambles are some of my favorites.
My kids are ready for school to be done, and so am I. What are we going to do when it is done? I have no idea. But for some reason it just sounds good. Something about not having to get up early, and the whole rush of getting everyone ready. Yeah, that sounds good. I am 7 months away from having my fourth and final child go into nursery, and already I am counting down. Joe just got called as the EQ Pres., and I am still playing piano in the primary, so the 3rd hour gets a bit tricky for us these days with our little one.
Good to hear from you Harmony. It does feel good to be involved and busy. When ever I start complaining about how busy we are then I remember how boring it is when we have nothing to do! Good luck with your boys this summer!
As crazy as summer is, I am so glad we have it. My boys keep asking me why we can't go to school three months and have summer the other nine!!:) PLEASE let me know if you figure out a good trick to a successful summer plan! Love, Mercy
I am often thinking the same thoughts, Harm. I love being a Mom more than anything! I'm so thankful for the opportunity to be my boys "mom" and to be able to love them and take care of them no matter how hard our days seem sometimes. I'm just glad when we've had a couple of good days in a row and I look back through our past weeks, months, years and all I really remember are all the really good days we've had together. I very often feel inadequate as a Mom and feel like I'm just not doing as good as I'd like or should. I find myself praying daily just to be better and try harder to be better the next day. Thanks for the post. I just had to cancel a Girls Time-out outing with my Best Friend....we've had plans started and canceled now for 3 years in a row, just to get out by ourselves and go do an overnighter with activities that we don't get to do because it's impossible to take our kids to do them. I've been bummed about having to cancel plans again, because I was really looking forward to the break. Instead I get another full week with my boys with no husband to tag team with. Nate's out of town with work. I'm not saying this to complain, your post just reminded me what I'm here to do and that's to take care of my family at what ever cost or cancellations to me. And I'm glad I get to be the one here to take care of them. Anyway thanks, and I'll see ya this weekend! I can't believe how grown-up Adam looks in his Baseball pic. Boy, how time as flown by!
I miss you all so much. One less family of boys to entertain my own. Your thoughts on Mother's Day made me reflect on my own experiences of being a mom. It has been a little rough lately but I am grateful for it.
I just got called as the Nursery Leader in our ward. That's a one-way ticket to heaven, isn't it? We have 20 kids in Junior Nursery and 20 kids in senior. My kids go to school until the end of June! That must be why Canadians are so smart! LOL, just joking, eh?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home