Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Spring Break

I'm slow to post about this, but Adam and Ryan had their Spring Break two weeks ago. Jeff, on the other hand, had his Spring Break back in March and wasn't free to do anything fun with us. The thoughts of trying to entertain the kids at home by myself for a whole week were less than pleasant, so the boys and I loaded up the mini-van and went to Grandma Janet's and Papa Keith's for four days. We missed Daddy, but enjoyed our break. One of these days my kids will probably realize that some people go exciting places and spend lots of money for Spring Break, and then they might not be satisfied with visiting grandparents and playing with cousins. But for now, they loved it.

WEDNESDAY
We got up early, early in the morning so we could make it to Cedar in time for the annual "Week of the Young Child" storytime at Grandma Janet's library. It was designed for preschoolers, but the librarian who told the stories did such a great job that even my big boys enjoyed it. Afterwards, Grandma took us to McDonald's for lunch. I had the Oriental Chicken Salad, about the only thing I can stand to eat there anymore. And I really don't know why it still surprises me when my kids beg for Happy Meals then don't eat them. McDonald's is mostly just a pricey playground for us, but it serves a purpose occasionally, this time as a treat from Grandma. Wednesday afternoon Mommy took a much-needed nap while the kids vegged in front of their favorite--PBS cartoons. Then cousins Will and Ellie and Catie came to play and brought pizza for dinner.

THURSDAY
Adam remembered a previous trip to the Iron Mission State Park and begged to go there again. That was an easy request to fill, compliments of Grandpa, who works there part-time. We met him there in the morning and got the grand tour, plus a couple of bonus activities. Adam and Ryan helped make a rope out of twine. And the three big boys got to practice their pictograph skills using Q-tips and bleach on brown construction paper. Maybe one of these next summers we'll get Adam and Ryan involved in the History Day Camp they do there. It sounds like they have lots of fun learning what life was like for pioneers. Thursday afternoon was more PBS (what would I do without it?!) until Mercy and family arrived from over the mountain. The kids played and played and played until they finally all fell asleep. Aren't cousin sleepovers the best?!

FRIDAY
I thought maybe the kids would sleep in after their late night, but I was wrong. Most of them were awake when I got up at 7 a.m. Ugh. They played until time to load up and go to Discovery Park, where they played some more. Grandpa had packed a yummy picnic lunch for us, which we enjoyed as fast as we could so we could go home and get out of the wind. Then the kids played some more. While they played, I alternated between visiting and reading my book--my idea of a fun Spring Break! Friday night Uncle Hal and Grandpa took the big boys to the shooting range to practice for Aaron's first turkey hunt. Adam was so excited to come home and show me the turkey he had "killed"--a paper turkey head full of holes.

























SATURDAY
I let the kids watch their normal Saturday morning cartoons. I'm not a fan of them--they aren't quite what they were when I was a kid--but I haven't figured out how to avoid them either. And it was their Spring Break after all. Grandma kept trying to get them to play games instead, but I knew it was to no avail. We did play a few hands of Golf with Grandpa when cartoons were over. It really isn't a trip to Grandma's and Grandpa's without games. After lunch we met Will and Ellie and Catie at the bowling alley and had a great time trying to knock down those white things before we headed home. I'm not a great bowler, but I love activities that the kids and adults can enjoy together. Dallin was the only one who couldn't really participate, but I think he got a kick out of it anyway. It was kind of funny to watch how frustrated he got just trying to pick up a six pound bowling ball.


After bowling we stopped for gas, then got on the road. I had a tailwind and got great gas mileage--215 miles on less than half a tank. That feels good when you know a whole tank is costing you $50. Jeff said he had a nice four days to himself--he didn't have to search for the TV remote the whole time! But I could tell he missed us. Not only was the house clean when we got home, there was a beautiful bouquet of flowers on the kitchen table and he made me a yummy candlelit dinner. Almost makes me want to have Spring Break without him more often! But I still wish he could have come and played with us instead.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At May 1, 2008 at 8:14 PM , Blogger Holly said...

I love the flowers and the idea of the candlelight dinner. Jeff gets major bonus points in my book!!!

 
At May 3, 2008 at 9:50 AM , Blogger Jo said...

Sounds like a fun Spring Break to me! Those kinda trips are the ones I remember the most. Probably because they are the most kind of trips we took growing up. I have to say though a lot of mine were spent in Escalante Utah! Which can be a fun place depending on the kind of activities you do there. I am glad to have the memories of family time spent together and cool places to go see with my own kids. We're excited to go camping. Thanks for getting that all planned.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home