Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Catching Up

I have some thoughts running through my head that I really want to blog about, but I have some catching up to do first.

Many thanks to Jeff's parents who took our kids for three days before Christmas so we could have an anniversary get-away. It was so nice to have some down time, just the two of us. We raced a snowstorm up Provo Canyon to the Homestead Resort in Midway. I shouldn't say we raced, because we actually drove very slowly and carefully, but it was a race to get up there before the roads got too bad. It snowed most of the time we were up there, so we just hung out at the resort and didn't do too much exploring out in the treacherous winter wonderland. Still, we really had fun. Since we moved back Utah County, we've gone back to some of the places that were significant to us when we were dating/newly-married. We've discovered that you just have to hang on to those memories, because it's pretty hard to relive them. It's better and more fun to make new memories. Our new favorite memory? Hot-tubbing in the snow! It was a blast!

I told Jeff I'd make a snow angel if he'd go back to our room and get the camera. I wasn't going to do it without a way to prove that I'd done it! He said he'd make one too if I would go get the camera. So I put my boots and coat on over my wet swimming suit and hiked back to room for the camera. It was worth it--and it was COLD! But then the hot tub felt better than ever!



While we were hot-tubbing in the snow, the boys were seeing the Christmas light display at Willard Bay, building a gingerbread train, sledding at Happy Hollow, and roasting hot dogs and marshmallows in the snow. Thanks Grandma and Papa!



We had a nice Christmas. Santa was good to us, as were grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins. We enjoyed the gifts, but mostly we just enjoyed the family time. Jared wrote a cute note to Santa that I had to take a picture of:


He did get his robot. And here is Dallin playing with one of his favorite gifts:


Our New Year's was extremely uneventful, but we made up for it on the 3rd when Ryan was baptized. He and two buddies from his Primary class were baptized in the same meeting. After the baptism we hosted 30 family members for lunch at our house. I am so thankful to live close to family again, so that we can celebrate important events like this together. We are proud of Ryan for wanting to follow Jesus Christ, and for preparing himself well. He has a strong sense of right and wrong, and a great desire to do what is right. We are blessed to be his parents.


And finally, Jeff really outdid himself for my birthday this year. He has been reveling in the fact that he has set new birthday gift standards for husbands everywhere. :-) He says he hasn't scored this many points from my friends since he brought me flowers at work for no particular reason. I knew I wasn't getting any gifts because the camera I got for Christmas was for my birthday too. So I wasn't expecting the large envelope Jeff handed me, full of cards and letters and gifts from good friends, and the new blog he created for me, full of more birthday wishes and kind words from people I love. I was in tears reading them all. What a great birthday present! To all of you who participated, thank you, thank you! And if you are reading this now and feel bad because you didn't know about it, that's okay. Jeff contacted as many people as he could get in touch with, but he didn't have access to all my e-mail addresses because I hadn't finished updating my address book. (Now that my birthday is past, he's complaining that he's not getting any interesting e-mail anymore.) Still, it was overwhelming to hear from so many people, and to think of the many more dear friends I didn't hear from this time, plus the ones I've lost touch with (hopefully temporarily). I am rich with friends! Thank you!

Labels: , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At January 14, 2009 at 12:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

BRRRR!! That's a cold snow angel!!

 
At January 14, 2009 at 1:51 PM , Blogger Charlotte said...

Those snow angel pictures are priceless! You and Jeff are braver than I.

On another note, Eric will be in 7th heaven if we should at one point have a child with the desires of your Jared. He can only hope.

 
At January 14, 2009 at 2:26 PM , Blogger Jo said...

YOu guys are brave facing the snow in swimsuits...but it does look kind of fun! We really liked the Homestead too...it's just a peaceful place to relax and have some fun. Congratulations Ryan! Glad to hear your day was a good one! Happy Birthday again, Harm! You deserve all the Happiness it brought!

 
At January 14, 2009 at 2:44 PM , Blogger Tasha said...

This is really funny because I just saw your kids a few weeks ago, but I really didn't realize how big they are! Even "baby" Dallin isn't anymore.

Really? Snow angels in swim suits? I'm cold just thinking about it. And I think that you showed great bravery in taking a picture of it.

Lots of courage.

Tell Jeff that people weren't really writing to him to write to him, they were writing to him to write to you - that you are just more loved than he is. You can tell him I said that too...

 
At January 14, 2009 at 3:07 PM , Blogger deutschlehrer said...

Thanks Tasha, I love you too

 
At January 14, 2009 at 3:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm still trying to decide who had more fun, you and Jeff hot tubbing in the snow or the kids around the fire...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful holiday season and birthday!

 
At January 15, 2009 at 9:24 AM , Blogger Melissa said...

I'm glad to see that there is some reckless kid in you. I don't think anyone could have talked me into laying in the snow with exposed legs. It makes me cold just thinking about it. John and I like to escape to Midway, too. We like to stay up the road at the Blue Boar Inn. The crater at the Homestead gives John the shivers.
Jeff, you will be happy to know that your present to Harmony made my husband feel inadequate. You did a great job.

 
At January 15, 2009 at 2:51 PM , Blogger Jerilynn said...

Its been great seeing your family the many times this last month!

 
At January 15, 2009 at 8:15 PM , Blogger The Bullknitter said...

Love the snow angel pics. We used to do that year 2 at BYU whilst you were globe-trotting. It is an insane thing to do at 19, can't imagine it at... well, our age.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home