Saturday, July 19, 2008

How firm a foundation?

I'd rather be blogging about something else, but this is the issue that has been consuming our lives this week. Anyone ever had to repair a cracked foundation? We knew we had a small but long crack that leaked water into the laundry room if we put the sprinklers too close to the house, but the laundry room is unfinished and there is a drain in the floor, so we hadn't worried about it too much (other than keeping the sprinklers at a safe distance). At some point while we were in Idaho for four days, the tubing up to the swamp cooler on the roof popped off and watered the back lawn for who knows how long, flooding not just the laundry room but parts of the bathroom and bedroom too. (Note to selves and anyone else with a swamp cooler--turn the water to the swamp cooler OFF! if you are going to be out of the house for any extended period of time.) Turns out we have at least two cracks that let all that water in. I sucked a couple gallons of water out of the bedroom carpet with my steam cleaner before deciding just to rip it out completely. We had planned to replace it at some point anyway. Now we are debating the merits of digging out the foundation from the outside and patching with an asphalt emulsion ourselves vs. hiring a foundation repair company to fill the cracks from the inside with polyurethane for $865. At least the estimate was free. Anyone have any expertise, experience, or suggestions on this one? And once the leaks are taken care of, then we have to replace the carpet and some drywall, plus we are considering remodeling the bathroom while we're at it. As long as we are taking on home improvement projects, we might as well, right? So much for starting on our garage this summer.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At July 19, 2008 at 5:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes, what an unpleasant surprise. I feel your pain. It feels like every time I turn around something breaks and we end up spending money to fix those things instead of investing our money in other things we really want/need.

I'm sorry I have no basement repair advice for you. I've never even heard of a swamp cooler. What is it? Good luck getting the basement cracks fixed.

 
At July 21, 2008 at 9:12 PM , Blogger Jo said...

I feel your pain, we came home to frozen water pipes this last Winter and when it finally started to thaw all the ice moved to our shower drain and clogged that up. It was a mess. I'd get at least a couple different estimates and then compare it to what it would cost you to do it yourself. Nate also looks on the internet a lot for instructions for doing things like that yourself. Anyway sorry I don't have any real expertise in that department. I hope all goes well!

 
At July 22, 2008 at 12:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn,
A swamp cooler is an invention of the west. It works on the principle that you can cool the air by adding humidity to it. This is why you have never heard of it. check it out here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooling#Evaporative_cooling

 
At July 27, 2008 at 7:34 PM , Blogger The Bullknitter said...

Sorry, I know nothing about swamp coolers. Now, if you wanted to know how to hot wire your furnace when it conks out on you after you were out of town in the dead of winter and it was minus 300 degrees in your house and all your house plants were frozen, well, I might be of some use. Swamp coolers? It might be an alligator shaped popsicle for all I know. Best of luck, though.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home