Obligatory Baseball Post
Only two baseball games to report on this week--aren't you lucky?! Ryan and A
dam both played last night. Ryan's game was rather unremarkable. He got to play shortstop and left field and got no action at either position. But he was more disappointed--as most tee-ballers are--that somebody's parents forgot the after-game snack again. So I let him get Ring Pops for himself and his brother's at the concession stand. They are slowly learning they are much more likely to get a treat if they don't ask, i.e., beg.
Adam's team won another squeaker, 2-1. It turned out to be a pitcher's duel, if you can call it that in a pitching machine league. :-) Hopefully both team's coaches learned that putting their weaker hitters all together in the lineup instead of mixing them in with the stronger hitters isn't very effective if you want to score runs. (Actually, I think Adam's coach is usually careful about that, but he wasn't there and the assistant coach in charge of the lineup appeared to be less experienced with that kind of thing.) Anyway, Adam hit a single past the shortstop into the outfield and also got on base with a fielder's choice. I've loved baseball since I was a little kid and think I know quite a bit about the game, but I didn't know until last night that a fielder's choice counts as an out when calculating batting average. So Adam is now 9 for 11 (.818 batting average). His team is 5-0 for the season. The league doesn't actually keep track of standings because they consider it a "learning league," but you just ask the 1st and 2nd grade Little Leaguers at Adam's elementary school and they will tell you that the Tigers and the Padres are undefeated, so if the Tigers (Adam's team) beats the Padres next week, they will be in first place.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home