Saturday, April 14, 2007

County counting

Since I've been married, and particularly since I've had kids, I've had a difficult time answering the question, "What are your hobbies?" It's not that I don't have any. It's just that the time I have to spend on them has pretty much disappeared. I can tell you a whole lot more about hobbies that I've enjoyed in the past or interests I'd like to pursue in the future than I can about hobbies I'm involved in right now. There are a few things outside of raising kids and household chores that I do spend a little time on. I thought I'd write a blog about each of them, as I get time.

"County counting" may not seem like much of a hobby, but I've been having fun with it. Our friend, Dan Miller, from Cincinnati introduced me to this one through his blog, Every Whatever. He's a fun-loving guy with many hobbies, some of them pretty off-the-wall. He found this website, www.mob-rule.com/counties/, that allows you to keep track of every county that you've visited. Did you know that there are 3141 counties (or county equivalents--parishes, etc.) in the United States? So far I've visited 625 of them (19.90%). Here's my map. Thanks and credit mostly go to my parents and Jeff for moving me to several states in various places across the U.S. Most of my counties I got without even trying. I do have plans to get a few more counties in Texas before we move back to Utah this summer. Then when we move we'll alter our normal Texas to Utah route just a little to get some new ones as well. Here's an interesting map of the U.S. showing which counties have been visited most frequently by "county-counters" on the website. You can have fun checking out the county-counting website to see where people have visited, or you too can be a county-counter by starting your own account following the simple instructions here.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At April 14, 2007 at 5:32 PM , Blogger Joy said...

This sounds really cool and since I have also lived all over the place I have also probably been in a ton of counties.

 
At April 14, 2007 at 8:12 PM , Blogger dan said...

You've never lived until you've taken a trip from Chicago to Cincinnati "by way of" the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Not that I know anything about that of course....*whistles*

 
At April 15, 2007 at 1:03 PM , Blogger Anjuli Fry said...

Really neat Idea! If Joseph ever decided between UW med school in WA or USUHS in Maryland, and if we go to Maryland we will be driving so I could go through alot counties I have never been in. This is a very intersting idea. Thanks for sharing.

 
At April 17, 2007 at 4:06 PM , Blogger Jeri said...

Fun Fun! I went to the sight and started counting.... thanks for the great idea

 
At April 18, 2007 at 5:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did have to show me this site. I now am up to 500+ counties and I have most of the east coast to go. It is really taxing my memory.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home