Grandma Grape
Two weeks ago Jeff's dad called with the news that our dear Grandma Packer had passed away. She was almost 92 and not in great health anymore, but I guess there was a part of me that hoped she would be around for awhile yet. I am not sad that she is with Grandpa again. Nor am I sad that she has been relieved of her mortal body. I have shed a few tears for myself though, because I won't be able to enjoy her association again until the next life. Jared said it best. When I told him that Grandma had passed away and returned to live with Heavenly Father, he said, "Now we won't get to hug her anymore."
Thou sendest blessings from above
Thru words and deeds of those who love.
Grandma was known for her love and acceptance of everyone. It could be safely said that the only person she ever said anything bad about was Kobe Bryant, during a playoff game when the Lakers beat the Jazz a year or two ago. She made each family member feel like they were her favorite child, grandchild, or in-law. During her funeral I realized that I feel a kinship with many of her granddaughters-in-law, not just because we married her grandsons, but because we have her love in common.

What greater goodness can we know
Than Christ-like friends, whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.
One of my favorite memories of Grandma is a time just a few years ago when I was sitting at the bar in my mother-in-law's kitchen with Marilyn (my mother-in-law) and Grandma. We were talking about family members, maybe about a cousin or someone else who was struggling. Grandma's eyes teared up and her voice wavered as she told us how much she loved her kids and her grandkids and her great-grandkids, and what a source of joy they were to her. I was so touched by the love I felt as she expressed her feelings about her family. I don't think I could hope for more than to become a grandma like her, whose family knows what love is because she loved them so much.

We hold forever in our hearts
A sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.
Both of my own grandmothers passed away early in my adulthood. I was close to them during my childhood. I love them and cherish my memories of them. I didn't really ever have an adult relationship with them though. Neither of them got to hold any of my babies or see me as a mother. I am grateful that Grandma Packer was around as I started my family. She means a lot to my children. When Adam was about three years old, Marilyn and I were trying to explain to him the difference between grandparents and great-grandparents. Marilyn told him that Grandma Packer was Grandpa's mom, and his Grandma Great. We thought he understood until he started calling her "Grandma Grape." She has been our Grandma Grape ever since.
Devotion to the Savior's name,
Who bless our days with peace and love,
We praise thy goodness, Lord, above.
(Hymns #293)
Labels: family, grandparents, In memoriam


8 Comments:
What a beautiful tribute, Harmony. I knew her too as a sweet, supportive and loving wife & mother.
What a legacy to lean on!
That was really touching Harmony. It made me think of my own grandmother who passed away 8 years ago (I can't believe it's been that long) when she was 90 yrs. old. Her love was always such a strong force in my life, and still is to this day. Thank Heaven for these lovely people who led the way for us here, and are waiting for us there. Love ya:)
Thanks Harm, you said it well.
Thanks for the loving tribute. Your kids and others kept her alive for many years.
Well said Harmony. I feel a lot the same way. She is a wonderful example to all of us and I will miss her too because I loved to go see her. I always felt like the best Mom in the world when I left her home because she made me feel that way.
Harmony: I have been stuggling a little tonight before reading your tribute to Grandma and now I am shedding tears of love and appreciation for her. It is about this time of night that I would be heading off to help her into bed. I miss the connection we made each time I had that opportunity. Thank you for putting your feelings into these beautiful words.
Annie
What a beautiful tribute! She sounds like an amazing woman, and I hope one day I can be a great grandma as incredible as she was. I know she is looking down at all of you from heaven, with a heart full of love.
I've gone and teared up. The grape name is precious. You've really captured her beautifully. Such lovely photos too. I love that song; my great uncle wrote it.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home