Sunday, May 9, 2010

Another Saturday project

Sometimes I amaze myself. About this time last year, I took it upon myself to build a sandbox for my 2-year-old. It took most of one Saturday, but I did it and I was pretty proud of myself. Yesterday I did it again. The antenna on our roof blew down in a windstorm several days ago. The hardware it was mounted to just completely broke.

We don't have cable or satellite (old-fashioned cheapskates that we are, yes), so this was a crisis. What will we do if we can't watch cartoons?! Jeff wasn't available to fix it, so I knew if it was going to be taken care of, I'd have to do it. My first plan of attack was to try to find a new mounting kit. Ace, Radio Shack, Home Depot, Wal-mart. Nothing. I could buy a whole new antenna with mounting hardware for $70, but why spend the money when the old antenna works just fine? I was getting frustrated by this point, but unwilling to give up. So I climbed back up on the roof to look at the old set-up and headed back to Ace (the helpful hardware place!) to try to find some pieces to make my own mount. $24 of aluminum, nuts and bolts later, I had what I needed. I started measuring and cutting and drilling. It was slow-going and aggravating until Jeff helped me figure out that I needed to reverse the drill. Arrgh! Eight hours later, this is what it looked like:



And this is what my hands looked like:

I can't get it off. I guess aluminum and Gorilla Glue are not a good combination for lovely, feminine looking hands. Any suggestions? Oh well, I'm not vain, and the cartoons work now, so I can stay sane. :-) And so I amaze myself again. The mount is probably no stronger than the original, and it won't last forever, but at least it's not broken. Except another storm is blowing in right now. I think I'll cry if it breaks again.

Labels:

13 Comments:

At May 10, 2010 at 8:38 AM , Blogger Jeri said...

Way to go Harmony!!!

 
At May 10, 2010 at 11:05 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh man! I really hope it didn't break again!!! Way to go, Harmony! Resourcefulness is an awesome quality!

 
At May 10, 2010 at 12:18 PM , Blogger Dad P said...

Way to go on man projects. Maybe my wife can now cut up chickens.

 
At May 10, 2010 at 12:30 PM , Blogger Holly said...

I am AMAZED and IN AWE at your handiness. You ROCK!!! There is some orangy thing Steve gets at the auto store to wash his hands, and I SWEAR it takes everything off. Wish I could remember what it is called, but I just know it smells like orange and is some kind of white cream. . .

 
At May 10, 2010 at 12:45 PM , Blogger Harmony said...

Thanks for the tip Holly! And no, it didn't blow down again, thank goodness.

 
At May 10, 2010 at 1:27 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

A. You are awesome.

B. We actually had the painters remove our gigantic old antennae from our roof. We weren't using it. Three words: Netflix Instant Play. More shows than we'll ever be able to watch + NO ADVERTISEMENTS (except for previews, which you can skip, although I usually don't because I love previews. I think I love watching previews more than I love watching most movies.)

 
At May 10, 2010 at 9:03 PM , Blogger Paula said...

Way to go, Harmony!! You are truly an inspiration and totally resourceful! You are woman - hear you roar!!!!!

 
At May 10, 2010 at 9:38 PM , Blogger Harmony said...

Thank you for all the great comments. They are just what I was fishing for! :-)

Lisa, we know about Netflix Instant Play, to the point where I'm about ready to password the computer so the kiddos can't watch Looney Toons and Scooby Doo for hours on end. Problem is, we don't have it connected to our TV yet, so the kiddos tend to monopolize my computer with all their watching. At the moment I prefer to limit them to whatever happens to be on nice, safe, educational PBS Kids.

 
At May 11, 2010 at 11:45 AM , Blogger Missy said...

You can get it for the Wii if ya'll have one and then you can password protect it also. Jay agrees about the usage of it though. He says I am circumventing his whole idea behind no cable TV. I argue I am not because I still get to override and have forknowledge into what they are watching and exposed to, they can't just turn it on.

 
At May 11, 2010 at 12:35 PM , Blogger Cloudkicker said...

I forget the brand name but there is soap with pumice in it. It works wonders.

 
At May 11, 2010 at 4:55 PM , Blogger Jo said...

Good Job Harmony! Sometimes the only way to get the job done is just plain do it yourself. I don't know if I'd be brave enough to get up on the roof, but at some point I'm sure I'd just give in and do it just to get it done. There is good soap at the Auto parts stores like Checkers and Napa that take stuff off like that all the time. You may be able to find it in the Auto section at Walmart too. My Dad uses the Orange stuff and some others and they always call it duck poop, but I know that's not what it's really called. Good Luck!

 
At May 11, 2010 at 11:58 PM , Blogger Janet S. said...

I'm the last to comment, but Harmony's dad and I showed up just as she was finishing. It was really an amazing project. She definitely learned how to do these things from her dad who can gerry-rig with the best of them OR it comes from my Dad who was the best gerry-rigger of all. But she didn't gerry-rig; she really fixed it!! Way to go, Harmony. Love, Mom

 
At May 19, 2010 at 11:54 PM , Blogger Sherry said...

MAN...what a mom won't do for cartoons. I remember when Hailee was a toddler and was very well entertained by a certain big purple singing dinosaur and yes I'm too embarrassed to actually type the name. Anyways, the VCR broke and it was before DVD players and we were shopping for a new VCR and Brent had all these different options he was looking at. After Brent talked to the salesman I pulled the salesman aside and said "look, all we need is a VCR that rewinds the fastest". Only a mother can relate, right?

FYI....Brent is on a "need to know basis" about the cheap VCR. ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home