Losing Yourself, Part 4
So, finally getting back to this. In November our local library board sponsored a free workshop called "Designing Your Life Vision." It appeared to be some type of scrapbooky thing, which I'm not really into (my cousin Kim got all those genes), but since I'm on the library board and they were worried about getting enough people there, I decided to go to it. Turns out, there wasn't any scrapbooking involved (although it would probably appeal to people who like to scrapbook). The instructor was a lady named Karen Pool, and she is a life coach. (If you are interested, you can find out more at www.lifeimagination.com.) The purpose of the workshop was to use creative processes, particularly writing exercises, to teach how to identify the goals and dreams of your heart, how to make plans to reach them, and how to overcome obstacles in the way of those dreams. That probably sounds really feel-good and idealistic, and some of it did come across that way, but the concepts and exercises were actually really useful and enlightening.
I'm finding the whole experience kind of hard to summarize, but so much of what was presented in the workshop tied into my struggle to balance nurturing myself with serving others. I think I'm just going to throw out some of the ideas and my reaction to them. Most of the first session was devoted to the writing exercises--answering questions such as "What is the purpose of my life?," "When am I the most me?," "What I like about myself is...," "When I was young I dreamed of being...," "Someday, I'd like to...," etc. She called this "creative brainstorming" or "putting your heart on paper." The key to it though, was that you had to write as many answers to each question as you could in a short time period, like two minutes. The purpose was to write so quickly that you captured your first thoughts/dreams on paper before your inner editor had a chance to interfere. Your first thoughts are the most powerful, the most authentic, and the most truthful. If you slow down and think before you write, you third thoughts are the ones that usually end up on the paper.
"Writing quickly without stopping connects you with your heart and deepest desires and quiets the critic that insists that what you want in life is too difficult to attain, or that you are unworthy--the voice in your head that keeps you in a downward spiral thinking."
She also encouraged us to start a "dream journal," a place to record these exercises, to paste pictures that represent our dreams and goals, and to write other thoughts we have as we identify and work towards them. (Sound familiar Charlotte?) It was fun and eye-opening to do the exercises, to "tap into my heart" and unbury some dreams/desires, to remember what brings me joy. As I did this, I recognized that pursuing some of these dreams would be a way of nurturing myself.
"Designing and detailing dreams on paper provides a safe place to begin the journey into the world of possibility."
One thing she alluded to, without coming out and quoting scripture, is that our dreams and goals and desires are a way of creating things spiritually before we create them physically. And that follows the pattern of the way God creates things (see Moses 3:5,7,9). That kind of hit me, especially after hearing Elder Uchtdorf's words about creating in his talk in the General Relief Society Meeting. Without being too religious about it (since we were at the public library and this wasn't a fireside), she also compared our dreams to the stones that the brother of Jared took up the mountain. We can ask ourselves, "What will I do to create light in my life? What 'stones' do I need to have touched by the finger of God?"
"If you know what your want--if you can state it clearly, the universe will move in your direction."--Goethe
"In the absence of clearly defined quality goals we become strongly loyal to performing daily trivia and eventually become enslaved to it." --Author Unknown
When she put this last quote up on the overhead, I read it and, sadly, recognized myself. It's not so much that performing daily trivia is bad. The laundry, the dishes, the grocery shopping, the cooking--it all has to be done, and those chores have value. I think part of my problem is that because I lack any other "clearly defined quality goals," the trivia consumes my life.
"If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan for you. Guess what they have planned for you? Not much!"--Jim Rohn
The second session of the workshop continued some of the writing exercises, but also moved into creating and planning the detail of your life dreams, setting them in time. It was fun to make a 20-year life plan, to write down the ages of myself and each family member for the next 20 years, and to think about goals in different areas of my life--spiritual, physical, financial, relationships, personal growth--and when I might be able to focus on them. It was nice for the perfectionist in me to get a more tangible grip on the idea that I don't have to do it all now, that I have years ahead of me to work towards my dreams. It was also easy to see that IF we don't have any more children, my youngest will be in school full-time starting four years from this fall, which would free up a little more time for me to pursue some of my as-yet-not-clearly-defined-quality goals.
But this is where the fun and excitement of all this dreaming started to morph into guilt and confusion. I felt guilty about wishing my life away, about dreaming of when my kids won't be so demanding so I can pursue some of my own interests. I started wondering if instead of seeking and exploring my dreams, I just need to be content with where I am, with the "daily trivia," with the joys and challenges of raising four beautiful and precious sons of God. President Uchtdorf said that teaching and nurturing children is participating in God's work of creation. Maybe that should be enough for me for now. I started wondering if all this life coaching stuff is just "philosophies of men"--not evil ideas, but maybe just things that I shouldn't be paying attention to right now, that shouldn't be my priorities. Maybe nurturing myself right now is just selfish. And I am afraid of being selfish.
So that was my mindset going into the third and last session of the workshop, which just happened to be focused on identifying and overcoming obstacles to our dreams. So as the instructor talked about fears and doubts and limiting assumptions and beliefs that keep us from pursuing and reaching our goals, I was questioning the whole idea that I should be pursuing them in the first place. In the course of the conversation I tried try to express some of my concerns. I wasn't doing a very good job of putting my feelings into words, but a couple of the other women in the workshop knew what I was trying to say and took over for me. One gave me the title of these posts--trying to lose yourself in service without losing yourself. Another one encouraged me to trust myself, that I won't pursue dreams that go counter to my values. And the instructor pointed out that when we give ourselves permission to dream, we give our children permission to dream too, and that is important. By this point, I was in tears again. I really appreciated their concern and advice. It did help, but the workshop ended and I left still wondering how to make it all work in my life. I sat in my van in the parking lot and sobbed again until I could see to drive home.
A day or two later I was driving to pick up the kids from school and the check engine light came on in my van. For some reason I wished right then that I had a personal check engine light to let me know when I needed maintainence or repair, something to tell me that it's okay to take care of myself, maybe even urgent. Then it occurred to me that maybe my episodes of sobbing are my check engine light--my signal that something is wrong that I need to address ASAP. That was kind of a comforting thought.
So here I am, still trying to process all this and find the best answers for me. I know it's not an all or nothing thing--serving others vs. nurturing myself. And I know figuring it out will be a process and an invaluable learning experience. Jeff has been aware of a lot of this, although I don't think I've discussed it with him in as much detail as I've written here. Still, he was so thoughtful and put so much effort into getting me a digital SLR camera and lenses for Christmas and my birthday, knowing that I need a hobby and that I'm interested in photography. Part of his gift is that he will take care of the kids while I take a photography class. I'm still determined to do that, but it just didn't fit in the family schedule after Christmas, of course. And then the bishop called me in and asked me to be the Primary president. And I couldn't say no. I haven't had any more sobbing sessions, but I know my check engine light is still red, because I haven't solved anything.
So how do you do it? Any tips? Do you feel balanced? I haven't responded to all the comments on my previous posts like I intended to, but I know I'm not alone in this. I think this is a critical issue for many moms, and probably for a lot of women in general. Sorry I haven't been able to give anyone all the answers. I hope no one was expecting a resolution! Any men out there deal with similar issues? The workshop I went to was only attended by women, but life coaching isn't limited to women, and service and creating and the need to nurture self certainly aren't either. (Not that many men read my blog, but I know of a few.) If you've stuck with me all this way and care to share your thoughts, I look forward to them.
Labels: balance, creation, dreams, Elder Uchtdorf, goals, service


9 Comments:
Well said Harmony! I think many Moms feel very similar or at least have at some point. I think you may have somewhat answered your own questions through out your different posts. I think one answer is Balance. And that at the same time may seem the hardest thing to gain. I think it's important to nurture your children and make sure your families needs are being met...but you just HAVE TO take time-out for Yourself. Does this mean you have to do it all by yourself and all the time? Not nessicarily...teach your Children some of the things you enjoy, teach them and let them participate in some of your dreams with you. But do find some time just for yourself too! Think about what your family may benefit by you sharing some of those things with them. Can they learn something valueable for themselves? I don't know if this is even making sense, but it's been some thoughts I've had while following your blog lately. I'm trying to learn these things for myself too. Nate is always saying go have some alone time but in the end there is always something else to do or someone needs me more at the moment, so I put it off and don't get to return to the alone time. Maybe think of the activity or dream or hobby or whatever it is(soaking in the bath tub for 20 mins. with the door locked) and think will everything be o.k. if I go take a small time-out. This might take away some of the guilt. And most likely everything will be fine and all still be there when you come back to reality. But the difference is you'll have had a BREAK...a well needed break! Some alone time or just some time enjoying what you enjoy to do! Well I'll get off my kick and go see if I can work some magic for myself. I like the idea of the dream journal...it's something to reflect back on and really tell you about yourself. If you get any good tips or answers let me know, I'm with you and being a bit burned out. Again I don't envie your new calling, but you will do awesome!
Dan and I are working on our 30 year vision. We each wrote down where we'd like to be in 30 years, what we want to have accomplished when we're in our 60s, etc. It has been really eye opening. I hope we can accomplish those goals.
LOVE the dream book idea (of course!).
A few thoughts--with the understanding that I certainly don't think I have all the answers.
When Heather was first born, I was told time and time again that I needed to enjoy each minute, and spend as much time as I could just soaking up the little spirit that she was and marvelling at the miracle that she was.
That was excellent advice, but I've got to tell you, it stressed me out! I DID spend time every day marvelling and oohing and ahh-ing, but I couldn't spend every moment of the day doing it, and I think I made it quite clear (on the blog at least) that there were many moments (particularly between the hours of midnight and 6:00 a.m.) that I did NOT enjoy. I felt more guilty about those times that I'd care to admit.
Eventually, (with the help of my mom) I realized that just because I didn't relish every little aspect of being the mother of a newborn, it didn't mean that I was ungrateful or that I would someday regret squandering this precious time. Once I got to that point, I was able to really enjoy the fun things about Heather, and endure mostly-happily the things that weren't so fun. I have to say, I'm enjoying it all much more now that I was a couple of months ago.
I say that to essentially say that I don't think there is anything wrong with realizing that in 4 years you very well may end up with more free time on your hands, and having a portion of you looking forward to that day. There are benefits to your situation now, but there will be benefits to your situation then. I don't think looking forward to those future benefits is wishing your life away in the least.
I can't really say all that I want in a comment, because I'm too dang long winded. So, after all that, I have one more point to make.
I firmly believe that when parents make time for weekly or bi-weekly dates away from the children, it strengthens their marriage (duh!), and THAT strenghthens the whole family.
I think most women would agree with me on that, but I'm not so sure that they would agree with my next point--even though to me, it's just a furtherance of the same principle.
I firmly believe that when a mother makes time for regular (at least weekly, and I'd like to say 2-3 times per week) battery-recharging activities (Enrichment and visiting teaching count IF they are re-charging and not depleting) it makes her a happier person, AND thus, a happier & better mother.
I realize that it's easy for me to say this with my one 5-month old daughter, and I might be chaning my tune in a couple of years. For now though, I believe this with all my heart.
Do NOT feel guilty or selfish for taking at least some time to do whatever the heck you want. Taking this time will actually BLESS your children, because they'll have a happier mother. After all, don't we all cherish the memories we have of the times when our mother was happiest?
Okay--that's all I have.
Jeri and I have a rule that is probably applicable here. It is:
"Opinions not necessarily accepted"
(and there's nothing wrong with that)
I've loved reading this series Harmony. Thanks for taking the time to write it all out.
What are the unintended lessons are children are learning? Either that their wants supersede other peoples, or life is a give and take.
Roll models are powerful in our lives. I hadn't realized until recently, my Mother taught me, that its okay to have your own desires, and enjoyment. She took time for herself.
"Men are, that they might have joy."
As women, we create in our minds what we think a mother/wife should be. Often it is not realistic.
You have made me reflect on my own life, the direction I want to go, and what I want to teach my children. Thanks
I think probably every woman has had these same thoughts and I'm not sure there is a resolution, though I must admit I was hoping you'd have some great ideas!
I know I need breaks and time to myself and that's why I started writing. I found that I was happier when I stepped away from being a mom for an hour here and there and just let myself write. Now that hobby has become another source of guilt as I haven't been writing anything for the past couple weeks and I feel like I should be! It's a catch 22! Plus I submitted a few things to publishers and just got my first rejection letter. That doesn't help. I wish I had answers, but finding a balance is a precarious business and I guess, like most things, just comes with practice. If you have any brilliant ideas though, do share them because you're definitely not alone! I've enjoyed reading your thoughts on this though and it has made me reflect more on how I can balance my own life. Thanks!
Believe it or not, some advice that's helped me lately came from "Biggest Loser." One of the moms was feeling guilty about being away from her children to exercise. Another contestant gave her the advice to "Be in the moment" which sounded very hokey to me. But it's been very helpful. When I'm playing Littlest Pet Shop with Lucy, I'm playing with her and not thinking about the laundry. When I'm out on a date with my husband (A MUST!), I'm with him and not thinking about the kids at home. When I'm doing something for myself- scriptures, bath, writing, shopping- I give myself permission to enjoy it for a certain space of time and then I devote myself to the next thing to do on my list. This has actually helped me with my calling and Visiting Teaching and during the Sacrament. "To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven."
One more thing, for my husband and I, every night is date night. We go out every Friday (thank goodness for older siblings who can babysit now!), but during the week every child is in their room at 8:00. They don't have to go to sleep yet, but they have to stay in their room because this is "Mommy and Daddy time." When I have meetings or obligations that keep me from our time together, I really notice a void.
I guess I have one more thing (sorry for rambling), my youngest will start kindergarten next fall. I'm out of diapers (or my kids are) and they sleep through the night. It DOES get easier. Hang in there.
I don't know if I have anything profound to add, but one thing that helps me is to set priorities and then realize that I don't have to spend *all* of my time on my top priorities. I just have to be aware of which things rank higher than others and try to first spend some basic time each day on the most important things. Then I can relax and read a novel sometimes, as long as I've made sure the kids are fed and clothed and loved, and as long as I'm ready to leave the novel and take care of pressing needs that rank higher than the novel. Does that make any sense? Of course there are days and weeks when it seems like I do spend all my time on the high-priority items. But there really is time for relaxing, playing, and thinking, even if it's a small amount of time while kids are really young!
I really like the idea of involving your family in the whole dream/goal thing. Instead of (or in addition to) a dream journal, try a family vision board. We did this for a family home evening a while ago, and our board is hanging up in our dining room. Everyone got to talk about what some of their dreams/goals were, and then we printed/cut out pictures or words and put them on the board for all to see. It's a great way for your children to see that you are a real person too, with real wants and needs, and it's a great way to validate theirs as well. Wtih your new camera, take lots of pictures of the kids, their sports games, whatever. It will give you a chance to work on your hobby and hone your skills, and it will make the boys feel special that you're taking pictures of them. Plus as long as the cameras out, it can wander to flowers and buildings and other things, inbetween pictures of the kids. I don't think there's any thing wrong at all with looking forward. I can't wait until Alex is out of diapers. I can't wait until all my are in school. But that does not mean that I enjoy the here and now any less. I love my kids just the way they are now just as much as I'll love them when they're all finally out of car seats (can't wait for that either). I think you can do both at the same time - Enjoy every moment today, and plan for/look forward to tomorrow. It doesn't have to be either/or.
As you know, I am currently juggling a million things but I have a really great husband who is currently picking up the slack because we are having a bit of a roll reversal but we both allow ourselves the time to just...be.
I know that the focus of this article has been on women, but as one who has had to do the work and then come home to the wife who is a bit frazzled for whatever reason and I know that sometimes that can b as ovewhelming/frustrating as having been home with the reason all day. I used to get really frustrated with Enoch for coming home and just wanting to sit and just be for a few minutes until I was there, and I have since realized that dad's get worn out too. I really don't get as annoyed with him as much because I am there now. And I encourage him to have his time to get away as well. I used to think this was just a mom/woman issue, but I have since realized it is a adult issue, probably enhanced by being a parent.
Harm, I have loved these threads. Once I get all the ideas worked out in my head, I will probably write more about it...
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home