Losing Yourself, Part 3
The beginning of this post may not seem directly related to the others of the same title, but bear with me (if you feel like it). It all ties into where I am right now. A couple years ago a friend recommended a book that I've previously posted a summary of here. It's called The Parenting Breakthrough: A Real-Life Plan to Teach Kids to Work, Save Money, and Be Truly Independent, by Merilee Browne Boyack. I really like the parenting principles in this book, especially the ideas for gradually teaching your children skills that will help them learn to be independent, productive adults. Last summer I decided it was high time to put some of these ideas into practice. I helped my three older boys set some goals for learning and doing age-appropriate skills--chores, reading, family scripture study, Cub Scouts requirements, etc. I tried to keep them simple, doable, and relatively short-term. There were intermediate rewards, but the big prize for reaching their summer goals was a trip to Lagoon, Utah's only amusement park (made especially tantalizing by driving past it every time we go to Jeff's parents house). The kids seemed okay with the goals, but were more excited about the rewards, of course. In the book, Sister Boyack also asserts that the real reward is that when your kids learn how to do things by themselves it becomes a source of self-esteem and empowerment for them. That made sense too.
Dummy me though. I should have known better than to expect that my kids would want to learn how to mop the floor because it would make them feel more grown up and independent, or even because it would help them get to Lagoon. I still believe the principles in the book are good, and I haven't given up on them, but either I didn't apply them effectively, or I just expected too much. I spent the whole summer babying my kids toward their goals, prodding them along, trying to help them and teach them, but nagging and listening to their whining more than anything. By mid-August the goals on their lists were all checked off, but I was mentally and emotionally exhausted. We went to Lagoon, but I felt like I had earned it for them. I knew my efforts hadn't been in vain, that my boys had made some progress and learned a few things, but I wasn't sure it was worth all the trouble. I was so tired and so ready for school to start again, ready to not have everybody home 24/7. I felt guilty for feeling that way, but I was to the point that I thought if I could just make it until school started, I could recuperate and hang on to my sanity.
Then school did start and I had a little more room to breathe, but my state of mind didn't get any better. I couldn't figure it out. The end of September came, and I went to the broadcast of the General Relief Society Meeting really hungry for something to lift me up, something to guide me out of the slump I was in. I had great expectations because General Conference and the General Relief Society Meeting are always a feast for me, a chance to recharge my batteries. And boy, did they need recharging. I don't remember why, but the Saturday of the broadcast was a particularly awful day for me. I dressed and went to the stake center alone, in a bad mood, just praying to be able to feel the Spirit and get something out of it.
The talks from the General Relief Society presidency were all good, but surprisingly, none of them spoke to me. I felt even more discouraged. Then President Uchtdorf stood up to the pulpit and said the words I needed to hear. You can read his talk, entitled "Happiness, Your Heritage," here, or listen to it here. I won't try summarize everything he said, but he addressed it to "those who have ever felt inadequate, discouraged, or weary"--ME, right then and there. In the kind and gentle way that to me is becoming his trademark, he validated my feelings and challenges, then taught two principles that can allow us to feel God's happiness despite our burdens--creation and compassion.
As I listened, I realized that the God-given part of me that needs to create is starving. Tears came to my eyes. I felt that my mental and emotional fatigue will be lessened and my emptiness will be filled if I can find a way to feed that need to create. It was eye-opening to me, but I knew I'd have to ponder more on exactly what and how I need to go about creating.
Elder Uchtdorf continued on to talk about compassion, about serving and lifting others. His words motivated me to look for more small and simple things I can do for those around me, but I didn't feel like I was as lacking in compassion as I am in creation. As I listened further though, he said, "As we lose ourselves in the service of others, we discover our own lives and our own happiness." Then he said, "You wonderful sisters render compassionate service to others for reasons that supersede desires for personal benefits. In this you emulate the Savior. . . . His thoughts were always tuned to help others. He taught, healed, conversed, and listened to others. . . . He taught and lived by this doctrine: 'He that is greatest among you shall be your servant.'" (Matt. 23:11). This got me thinking all over again about the balance between serving others and nourishing myself, filling my own cup. How do I follow the example of Christ--that I want to follow--and lose myself in the service of others, without losing myself? It seems like the part of me that needs nourishing--the part of me that needs to create--is the part of me that gets neglected as I use most of my time and energy in the service of others, which is supposed to help me discover myself and my happiness. I do find happiness and fulfillment in serving others most of the time, but other times I just feel burned out, depleted. If the principles of creation and compassion will help me feel God's happiness, how can I find room for both in my finite life?
As I took in Elder Uchtdorf's talk, my emotions were mixed. I was relieved and confused, happy that my challenges were validated and addressed, just as I'd hoped, but unsure exactly how to apply his counsel to my life. As I left the meeting, I couldn't keep the tears from coming. I drove to a park and sat in my van and sobbed until I could compose myself enough to go home.
Yes, there's still at least one more part to this long story. Stay tuned. If you want to.
Labels: balance, creation, Elder Uchtdorf, parenting, service


8 Comments:
Of course I'm staying tuned!! Thank you for sharing this with us Harmony. I think a lot of moms are in the same boat. And I think we often need reminders how to get back to where we need to be. I just hope when my kids are grown up that I found I did more right things than wrong things in raising them!
Well, you have me hooked. I can't wait to hear the rest of your thoughts. I don't think you're at all alone in them. Not that that will help you feel better at all... The one thought that came to my mind is using our abilities to create to fulfill our need to be compassionate. For instance, I take great pleasure in practicing and performing. Creating music, when I share that with others in the right Spirit, they can feel my love for them, get a boost and I've done a small service. I think you can do the same with photography. Others who enjoy cooking do it with meals. Just a thought. I hope it helps. This is just one small facet to a very big question and balance is pretty elusive. Maybe you have a better (or more accurate rather) answer in your next installment. Can't wait to read it!
Totally staying tuned.
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one that sometimes sobs in parking lots.
I'm glued too! I have to say I think you've hit it on the head as far as some similar feelings I think all Mom's have while trying to do our best to raise a good family. I think it's awfully hard to find the balance or to get rid of all the distractions that get in the way of norishing ourselves as we take care of our family too. I can't help wondering also if more stay at home Mom's feel these same ways because we are with our Kids and Husbands all day and night amd no breaks. I agree with the earlier comment about using your hobbies and talents along with service. I think one of your greatest talents is you give so much of yourself in all you do...but I think this also causes you to burn yourself out and not leave you anytime for yourself...this probably isn't a new discovery. I think when you are using your talents and hobbies as service it can become rewarding and give reason to find time for yourself doing things you enjoy but maybe don't take the time to usually do. Anyway I'm watching for part more. Sorry my comments are so long...I'm very intrigued by your postings and I've had some very similar if not the same thoughts and feelings lately, so this has come at a time when I probably really need it. Thanks!
I have many times been drawn into trying to help certain students achieve goals. And in the end realize, that I was the one putting in a good portion of the effort and desire. I was worn out mentally and physical drained.
Its a hard line to figure out how to encourage and know when to step back. I have often been told if you are tired in the end, you are doing all the work instead of the kids.
Trying to develop productive, thinking children, who will be successful adults is a difficult task.
You know, I've been reading your installments of "losing yourself", and I think I have the opposite problem as you. I find plenty of ways to fill my own cup all the time, but I don't serve others as much as I think I should. I want to. I see such great examples in you and my other friends, and I wish I was more like that. I think it's such a great quality to be so service-minded (let's pretend that a word). I'm always willing to do what's asked of me, but I don't usually seek out service opportunities on my own. I don't wake up every morning and ask Heavenly Father who needs my help that day. I'm such a home-body, and I get so wrapped up in my own life sometimes, that I don't notice the needs of others. I guess you and I just need to meet somewhere in the middle, if you could just let me know how to get there. Maybe we could mapquest it:)
SOOOOO loved Elder Uchtdorf's talk. He may have been talking to you, but he was also talking to me--I cried buckets. I am very interested in knowing the rest of the story (I really need help with the creation part as well. . . ) Thanks so much for sharing!
I'm a little behind, but also can't wait for the rest of the story. You're right, there has to be a happy medium. I think there may be way too many women caught up in taking care of themselves the Oprah way (I like to call it) and not fulfilling their purposes as women and mothers--nor are they getting the blessings for doing so. They may seem happy, but it is temporary. Anyone remember the Joseph Smith lesson that talked about our eternal nature? I think that is key--knowing that we are living, learning and growing (and attempting to balance i.e. lose ourselves and find ourselves at the same time), not just for an earthly reward, but for an eternal reward. During some days of toil and trial that is the only reason it seems worth it. I'm so thankful for living prophets. Elder Utchdorf is inspired AND amazingly in tune with LDS women of today!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home