Randomness
I guess I should post all these random things separately, but I don't feel like it, so I'll just subtitle them.
Shelves
For my birthday Jeff told me he would build some shelves in the family room in our basement. In our new house I've been a little frustrated with storage options. There is plenty of space, but not enough closets, shelves, furniture, etc., to store stuff in or display stuff on. And we, unfortunately, have plenty of stuff. Especially books. Just ask anyone who has ever helped us move how many boxes of books he lifted. Plenty. In fifteen years of marriage we have NEVER had enough bookshelf space. It took a few weeks, but the shelves are up and painted and they look great. I was worried about how they would look, not because I didn't trust Jeff to do a good job (which he did), but because I wasn't sure what I wanted was based on sound interior decorating principles. I think I got lucky. Haven't had a chance to put any books or knick-knacks on them yet, but here are a few pics. Don't they look nice?!


Brush with Fame--Not
About a week ago, I went down to BYU to do some family history research with my mom. As we were waiting to cross Campus Drive east of the Wilkinson Center, there was a guy also waiting to cross who looked really familiar to me. I figured he was someone in our new ward that I should know, or a bagger at the grocery store I usually go to, or something like that. We crossed the street and he went into the Wilkinson Center. We went out and around toward the library. Then there he was again, holding the door for us as we walked into the library. I smiled at him briefly, not wanting to be rude if I really should have known who he was and I was just having a senior moment. But I still couldn't place him. That bugs! It finally came to me later that same day, thank goodness. (I'm not that senior yet!) He looked like the actor, Tahmoh Penikett, who plays Karl "Helo" Agathon on the new Battlestar Galactica series. I mean it really looked like him! Lest you think that I'm some groupie or something, let me reassure you that pop culture is not my forte'. I watch very few movies and even less TV. We don't have satellite or cable, and, in fact, we didn't even own a TV until Christmas a little over a year ago. However, we do enjoy our Netflix subscription, and we have watched quite a few episodes of the new Battlestar Galactica on DVD. Still, I'm surprised I figured out who I thought this guy was. I've done a little Googling though, and I can't find any good reason for Tahmoh Penikett to have been on the BYU campus on a Saturday morning in February. It probably wasn't him. Oh well. Just a wannabe "brush with fame."
Cuteness with Jared
Jared is in a really cute stage and keeps me smiling on a daily basis. I'll be sad when he passes the pinnacle of cuteness (about age six, according to Bishop Derenthal of our Cincinnati ward). He went to our neighbor's birthday party a few weeks ago. Christopher is his best friend at the moment, even though he's a year older than Jared. So Chris turned five and Jared was SO excited to go to his pirate birthday party. (Why do five-year-old boys love pirates so much???) Jared had a great time and came home talking about finding treasure and treasure hunts and all that good stuff. Then he told me, several times, "I don't like three. I like four." Thank goodness I could tell him he will be four soon. If he'd wanted to be five like Christopher, I'm not sure I could have appeased him. So he's excited for his upcoming birthday. He has wanted a green Power Ranger cake since his last birthday though, and I'm sure we're gonna disappoint him on that one. I don't let my kids watch Power Rangers, I don't particularly like them--too violent, and last year's Larryboy birthday cake was such a huge effort that I think we'd better find something more simple this year.

Labels: books, brushes with fame, family, Jared


7 Comments:
I love that toque!
I like it too, but it was bought in Germany, not handmade...
some of your pictures didn't work out. I'd love to see them!
I love the post about books and not enough bookshelves!
This is one of my fav quotes:
"I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves."
- Anna Quindlen
Tried to fix the pics Carolyn. Did it work? I've had a few formatting problems with Blogger, but I just don't have the time or the patience to figure it out.
Love the quote Kim! Thanks for passing it on.
Hi, I just came across your blog tonight. I love the shelves! I love seeing how others decorate since I love to decorate too! Have fun filling those shelves.
I like your shelves! I can't believe Jared's birthday is comming so soon, that means Corbin's isn't that far away either, yikes! Also I can't believe Jer is almost due...it seems like they just announced they were pregnant! Time is sure flying! I think it's great Jared loves pirates, Corbin seems to need to play treasure hunt a lot too, he usually leads us to a big lump of blankets. Under the blankets we always discover a pile of toys, what a treasure! I think being three is a good place for them to stay. They are cute and can do a lot of things themselves, but aren't too sassy yet. And best they still like having Mom around to play with.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home