Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Life Lately

Recent thoughts and happenings, in no particular order.

* There is nothing I absolutely have to get done today. Which means there are a lot of things I should be doing with my "open" day. If a day like this would just coincide with a decision about which project to tackle and the motivation to tackle it, I would be set!

* I was looking for a baby picture of Ryan to use in our Primary class last Sunday. As I dug through boxes of photos looking for the right envelope, the burden of 20+ years of unorganized photos just sitting in boxes weighed heavily on me. I tried to get into scrapbooking once, but I have yet to figure out how to take the time out of living life now to catch up on documenting the life I've already lived. Maybe when the kids are grown....

* I had a couple of lousy days last week--life looked kind of blah and I couldn't put my finger on why. Hormones maybe. But I got through those two days and things are looking up again. I can deal with a down day every once in awhile, as long as they don't go on and on. I just feel bad for my family when I'm having one of those days...nobody likes a grumpy mommy, including mommy.

* The day that life started looking better again, I experienced my first ever migraine headache. Lovely. I have no idea what triggered it. I just know I'll be happy if I can avoid any more of those, and I feel bad for anyone who experiences them frequently. My eyes started doing freaky things and then I couldn't think straight, and then my head started pounding right behind my left eye. Advil didn't touch it. I finally called Jeff and he took off from work early to rescue me. I'm so glad he has that kind of flexibility with his job most of the time. He took care of the kids and made dinner while I went to bed. (He's been making dinner often lately. I love having a husband who enjoys cooking!) When I got up a couple hours later, I was fine, so I think I headed off the worst of it. Whew.

* I got a new pair of shoes last week, which I really needed. They weren't cheap, but they were super comfortable and my mom paid for half of them as a birthday present, so I was happy. Then Jeff told me they look like grandma shoes. Grrrr. I thought they were cute enough. Oh well. They are still comfortable, and I'm not taking them back. But I don't know whether I'm more frustrated at him for criticizing my choice, or more annoyed at myself for not knowing what looks good and what doesn't. My fashion sense is right up there with my interior decorating skills--mediocre. Grrrr.

* I've been exercising on a regular basis for the first time since last May. It feels good to get back to the gym. I've been feeling really out of shape--soft and weak and tired. We got a great deal on a family pass to the rec center through Jeff's employer, so I've been lifting weights and doing the elliptical machine on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I have to pay extra to put Jared and Dallin in the childcare room, but they enjoy it and I'm grateful for the option. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays I've been doing yoga with Deni Preston on the Total Body Workout program on BYUTV. In January the show was moved to 5 a.m. MT, which does NOT work for me, but I found out I can stream it anytime I want on byu.tv. I've been easing back into it, but looking forward to upping the intensity as I go.

* My little sister went in the MTC last week. I got to go with my parents to put her in. It was neat to be in the MTC again. There's just a spirit about that place that I don't think most missionaries really recognize. I'm more excited for Joy than anything, so I didn't cry much, but when we sang "Called to Serve" for the opening hymn I couldn't hold the tears back for a few minutes. The orientation meeting is about the same as it's been since I was a missionary, just a few different jokes. The movie is getting a little dated though. I think the clothes sister missionaries wear now are both more comfortable and sharper-looking than the ones I wore, and the luggage is tons better--just more convenient and better built. It will be fun to write to a missionary on a regular basis again, and I love hearing my boys pray for "Aunt Joy and Cousin Rex on their missions."

* I should devote a blog to President Hinckley , and maybe I will later, but I was surprised and saddened by his death. I guess it's just that I thought the Energizer bunny would run down before President Hinckley did. But I am glad he didn't have to linger here in bad health. I know he wouldn't have wanted that. I am grateful for his spirit, his wisdom, his humor, his optimism, his encouragement, and his counsel. I will miss him, but I am grateful that Heavenly Father has provided for prophetic succession, so that we will always have a prophet to guide us in these latter-days. What a blessing.

* Because of President Hinckley's death and funeral, my trip to Las Vegas this weekend with my mom and sister and sister-in-law is off. We were going to Timeout for Women, which is now postponed until September. I'm bummed because I was really looking forward to a girls' weekend out of the snow. Oh well. Grandma and Poppa are going to babysit and let Jeff and I have a date night on Friday instead. It doesn't meet quite the same needs that the trip to Vegas would have, but it will still be nice.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At January 29, 2008 at 3:42 PM , Blogger Jeri said...

For what it's worth - I think the shoes are really cute. (before you take much comfort in that, I should inform you that I am one giant fashion disaster! Back in my single, post mission days, I would have Mercy pick out what I should wear (usually from HER closet) if I wanted to make sure I looked cute and matched.)

Good for you exercising. I got the go ahead from my midwife yesterday and now I need to start back up again.

 
At January 29, 2008 at 3:53 PM , Blogger Harmony said...

I stay away from Mercy's closet (there's a bad history there :-), but she is my favorite person to go shopping with.

 
At January 29, 2008 at 8:54 PM , Blogger Holly said...

Ok, I think the shoes look great. They are the perfect mom shoes, and are not gramma-y at all. (Of course, I am only 10-15 years away from being a grandma, so maybe I am too old to judge . . . )

I am going to have to try the streamline yoga in byu.tv. Thanks for the tip!

And I am sorry about Timeout for Women. It is always a drag when something you are so excited for doesnt work out . . .

 
At January 29, 2008 at 11:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think that men can begin to understand how uncomfortable fashionable shoes are 99% of the time or how much my ancient feet hurt because I wore fashionable shoes at age 17-27. Men's shoes always fit and are more flat than elevated. I see the college girls wearing 3" heels to class & around campus, even in the snow and without nylons. I wore 3-4" heels in college, but never to class. I blame my hurting feet on wearing them to work and dances. Give me wonderful leather, a slight wedge and plenty of room for my toes. That's what the Lord intended to cover our feet!!! Oh, and I like expensive sandals without toes and with backstraps when its warm.

 
At January 30, 2008 at 4:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You ARE documenting your life!!. . . I don't scrapbook OR blog. I think you are doing great!
Love, Mercy
P.S. As I recall, the fighting occurred when I borrowed from your closet--not the other way around!

 
At January 30, 2008 at 10:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, you women really stick together. For all of your information, the shoes look like the ones my mom wears--and she is officially a grandma. So there. Why am I not hearing props for cooking the dinner? I figure +1 for cooking -1 for absence of tact. the best men can hope for is to stay even.

 
At February 3, 2008 at 12:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Harmony,
This post sounds a lot like most of my weeks. The shoes are fine, what matters is comfort first. Sorry Jeff, Nate and Jon....Guys aren't always the best judges for fashion, especially if their wife is wearing it. I always get told I look fine or nice by Nate no matter what I am wearing, even if it's my lounge pants and a t-shirt!
I totally understand being bummed about Timeout for Women and needing the girl time now! I have a good friend that lives in West Jordan now. If we don't get together every couple months for lunch or something we go crazy and end up spending a good hour on the phone venting or whatever. It's like a therapy session for me to get a chance to talk to her. I hope you have a great week!

 
At February 15, 2008 at 1:27 PM , Blogger Tasha said...

I think the fact that Jeff cooks dinner is awesome - I couldn't survive my life without the help Enoch gives me around the house, even if it isn't cooking dinner.

Migraines are the worse - especially when accompanied with vertigo. Very unpleasant - lots of caffeine and a good nap usually gets rid of them for me, followed quickly by a significant amount of protein to get me off of the caffeine high.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home