Monday, January 14, 2008

For Gintal

Last spring when my son Ryan graduated from kindergarten, he and his classmates sang a cute song called "Move Me Up to the First Grade" at their graduation ceremony. I posted about it here. Last week I got a comment on my blog from "Gintal," a person I don't know, asking for the lyrics to that song. Gintal had searched for those lyrics with no luck, except--I assume--for the reference to that song in my blog. (I got the same results when I did a Google search. Now how many times have you done a Google search and only got ONE result?!) Well, Gintal, you're in luck. I didn't have the lyrics, I didn't think my son could remember all of them, and my kids no longer go to that elementary school. In fact, we've moved out of that state. I didn't have an e-mail address for his kindergarten teacher, but I decided to see if I could find the lyrics anyway--for Gintal, and just to see if I could accomplish this task. (I love accomplishing tasks almost as much as I love helping people out. :-) I e-mailed the elementary school this weekend through their website, asking for the e-mail address of my son's kindergarten teacher or anyone else who could give me the lyrics to that song. I admit I wondered if anyone would respond, but lo and behold, first thing this morning I received an e-mail from my son's teacher with the lyrics attached. Now I know this is not a totally amazing miracle, but it came together more easily than I expected. And so I present--thanks to me and Gintal--the lyrics to "Move Me Up to the First Grade," now available in cyberspace for the first time that we are aware of! (Dan Miller, google-foo this one and prove me wrong if you can!)


MOVE ME UP TO THE FIRST GRADE

(TUNE: TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLGAME)

Move me up to the First Grade,

I have worked very hard.

I know my letters and numbers too,

I follow directions and tie my shoes.

So please move me up to the First Grade.

I want to learn even more!

So it’s time I’m moving along

Let First Grade begin!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At January 14, 2008 at 11:38 AM , Blogger dan said...

I couldn't find anything. But I cannot leave you empty-handed!

I will tell you that the "official" term for a word or phrase that has only one result in Google is Google Whacking
http://www.googlewhack.com/

There are folks that make a game out of it - trying to find a 2-word phrase that has only 1 result in Google. You get points for how many results each of the 2 words has in Google by its own

 
At January 15, 2008 at 5:47 PM , Blogger gintal said...

Wow, what a story! Thanks for your efforts and the amazing grace of God directing every step. I will surely pass this on to my son's kindergarten teacher for their graduation program. (Altough, I don't know how many of them can actually tie their shoes. LOL!) So, we might need to change a few words. But I do love it and thank you again for helping find the lyrics.

 
At January 15, 2008 at 8:27 PM , Blogger The Bullknitter said...

It's nice to see things haven't changed too much, Harmony! You are still as amazing as ever.

 
At January 18, 2008 at 5:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Harmony, do you have the words to the song you sang all through 1st grade about "I'm as American as corn flakes, apple pie, and . . ."? Shucks, you probably remember the words. I thought it was a very cute song and since it was the Bi-Centennial year, you also rode on stick horses and sang "Yankee Doodle Dandy." Mom

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home