Sunday, December 16, 2007

I won the lottery!

I was one of the lucky ones who had my name drawn at random to receive tickets to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas concert with the King's Singers. There were more than 1 million requests for tickets at www.lds.org, and only about 85,000 tickets available, so that makes my odds, what, about 1 in 11? And if you consider that everyone who requested tickets could get up to 8, that makes the odds more like 1 in 94. I'm not the type of person who wins things all the time, but if I could pick something to win, this would be it. We attended Friday night and it was fantastic! We got the boys' favorite babysitter for the evening, then drove to Salt Lake where we met Jeff's parents, aunt and uncle, and a couple of good friends on Temple Square. We made it to our seats in time--if you don't, you could lose them to standbys--and sat down to enjoy an hour-and-a-half of beautifully performed Christmas music.

If you like choral music, which I do, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir can't be beat. Their music never fails to uplift me. Everything they do is excellent. But then to add the the King's Singers, one of the most talented vocal groups I've ever heard, and excellent vocal musicians in their own right--well, it was incredible. My vocabulary and my reviewing skills just don't do it justice. Although it is really difficult to choose, I think my favorite numbers were the King's Singers a capella versions of "The Little Drummer Boy" and "Rise Up, Shepherd, and Follow." "The Twelve Days of Christmas," my least favorite Christmas song, was even enjoyable, with some fun choreography by the University of Utah Dance Department. The concert was filmed for future broadcast on PBS television, so be sure to look for it next December. I'll be purchasing the DVD too when it comes out, something I don't normally feel the need to do. It was just that good. I've been feeling a little swamped by the various pressures of the holidays, and I've struggled to feel the spirit of the season. This concert broke through some of the cloud for me. And I don't think I'll be able to stand to listen to FM100 Christmas music for the rest of the year. Sappy, secular Christmas music--ugh.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At December 16, 2007 at 11:24 PM , Blogger maren out my laundry said...

how very cool Harmony! Doesn't your dad like them or is it my dad? Hmm..looks like a wonderful christmas evening. Sorry about last week too, I keep meaning to catch you on MSN we will make it up I promise :)

 
At December 17, 2007 at 12:14 AM , Blogger The Bullknitter said...

If anyone deserved to win those tickets, you did. I'm glad you enjoyed the concert and got out with your honey. I could use some of that... Between Christmas concerts, band concerts and ward parties, I haven't had one free night. It's driving me crazy.

 
At December 17, 2007 at 2:28 PM , Blogger Holly said...

How AWESOME!!! I LOVE the King Singers. I saw that they were coming and it was one of the few times I was feeling jealous that I wasn't living in Utah. And to get them for free. You are definitely living right! COngrats!

 
At December 17, 2007 at 11:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of the evening's performance was shown on "Music and the Spoken Word" on Sunday morning. It had to be from the program because they were dancing down the aisles of the Conference Center and I don't think dancing on the Sabbath is encouraged. I heard the King's Singers do "Little Drummer Boy" and then they sang with the Choir. It was beautiful for half an hour; we'll be anxious to view the DVD. The King's Singers are in St. George tomorrow and Wednesday, but we didn't try to get tickets. Too much going on. We're glad you won this lottery! We'd be embarrassed if you went to Idaho and won that kind! Mom

 
At December 27, 2007 at 10:23 PM , Blogger Esther said...

Thanks for the fun time, Harmony. Maybe next year I'll win the tickets and bring you along!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home