Overscheduled vs. Bored
So Ryan and Adam both wanted to play soccer this fall. Ryan was particularly looking forward to it. I printed the registration forms for one league off the Internet back in August, but since it wasn't a city-sponsored league, I wanted to get to our neighborhood and check with other moms to see if their kids played in it before we signed up. So this weekend I finally figured out that it is the league that most kids around here play in. Unfortunately though, I waited too long, the league is halfway through the fall season, and they aren't accepting late registrations at this point. Ryan is so disappointed and I feel really bad.
I feel bad that Ryan's disappointed, but I also feel bad that it's my fault that my kids aren't involved in anything yet. I really don't want to be one of those parents who overschedules their kids with teams and lessons and classes, etc., etc. Doing just baseball in the spring for the last two years made our evening family schedule just crazy. I don't know how parents with more kids, or with kids involved in more activities, do it all.
On the other hand, I want my kids to have the opportunity to try different activities and have the experiences of playing on teams and learning to play musical instruments and all that good stuff. They were an important part of my childhood. And when my boys aren't involved in anything, they watch TV and play video games constantly, and still complain about being BORED. Aaaagh! How do I find a happy medium?! So now I'm thinking about signing them up for a karate class at the rec center....
Labels: life, motherhood, sports


4 Comments:
I think once your Rec center is built nearby, some of your concerns will be solved. There should be opportunities there for swimming year round, as well as Jr. Jazz basketball and maybe some of the karate type things. Paula mentioned Ethan doing something that isn't karate, but like Tai Kwan Do.
We also waited too long to get Scott involved in a fall sport. I don't think he's too disappointed because he's never done an organized sport before. So he doesn't know what he's missing. The hardest thing is scheduling play dates. When I was a kid I just went over and played at my neighbor's house. Now, I have to call a parent, schedule a date, go pick up the kid, etc.... What a hassle. But I've noticed the lack of friends my kids have around our home. I also don't think kids need to be over scheduled. Kids need to use their imagination!
The rules that we had in my family growing up and that we have kindof adopted for our kids is one sport per season - the exception to that already is Ellie was in dance and soccer at the same time, but she loves it, and soccer for her was really low key this year. I figure if it isn't taking more than half the evenings in a week, we are doing okay...I guess I'll wait the 10+ years to figure out how much I've screwed up my kids...
True about the new rec center being built just around the corner from us--like a five minute walk, if even that. Should be done in just a few months and it might very well help us solve this activity dilemma. I'm looking forward to it. And I'm gonna request yoga classes if they don't have any!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home