Baseball, Sick Kids, Cousins, Kindergarten Graduation, & Friends
I haven't caught up on baseball for a couple weeks. We've had several more rainouts, but the weather finally cooperated this week so we could make up for some lost time. Ryan had games on Tuesday and Friday. He was running a high fever Tuesday, so I made him skip that game. In Friday's game he got to play pitcher, the busiest position in teeball. I missed the game to stay home with the other sick kids, but Jeff said he fielded everything hit to him and even got one batter out at first base. Ryan was most excited about sliding into home plate. As soon as he walked in the door he proudly showed me all the dust on his pants. Adam played Tuesday and Thursday, and had a double-header on Wednesday to make up some rainouts. They won two of those four games, but I've lost track of their overall record--something like 9 wins and 5 losses. Jeff has helped me keep up with his batting average though. At the moment, he is 25 for 32, for a .781 average (20 singles and 5 doubles).
As mentioned, we've been doing the sick kid thing this week. So far the symptoms are just fever and headaches. All four boys had fevers yesterday, so I kept them home from church today. I might have to take at least Dallin into the pediatrician tomorrow, but I'm guessing this is a virus that will go away on it's own. I tend to be pretty conservative about taking kids to the doctor, as I hate spending time and money to be told, "It's just a virus."
The most exciting part of our week though, was the visit of my brother, Enoch, and his family. They decided to do a Texas family vacation this summer, including two days and three nights at our house. It was fun to catch up with them and play with cousins. Will especially fit right in with our light-saber and superhero loving boys, and Adam and Ryan were a jealous of his Gameboy. We were a little hard-pressed to find things to do to entertain them, but they went with us to Adam's baseball game Tuesday night, then on Wednesday we took them downtown to Eggemeyer's General Store, to Kings Kingdom Park and the Concho River where we had a great time feeding the ducks and turtles. In the afternoon we went bowling and Will beat us all with a score of 114! Their time in San Angelo will probably be the most boring part of their vacation (compared to San Antonio and Dallas), but we're glad they came to see us. Thanks for fixing our gates too Enoch!

And finally, Thursday was the last day of school and Ryan's kindergarten graduation. I'm proud of Ryan--he had a great year and learned a lot--but I think kindergarten graduations are kind of silly. It was a nice, short program, however, in the hot, crowded elementary school gym. The 102 kindergarteners looked great all dressed in little red caps and gowns. They sang four songs, including a very cute one called "Move Me Up to the First Grade," sung to the tune of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." I got tears in my eyes when they played the Edward Elgar graduation march song, but then I almost always do. I think I associate it with change (something I've always struggled with) and with leaving a chapter of life behind that can never be returned to. Anyway, I wasn't emotional about kin
der
garten graduation, but that song got to me anyway. Ryan was emotional for an entirely different reason. He didn't even want to go because he said he was afraid of getting up in front of so many people. I tried to reassure him and calm him down, but he was still visibly upset. I wasn't sure where that came from until I talked to his teacher afterward and realized she was afraid of getting up in front of so many people too. It's amazing how impressionable our little ones are. Ryan was fine afterwards though, so hopefully he realized it wasn't as bad as he thought it would be.
Speaking of changes, we are really going to miss our good friends, the Townsends, who moved to Wisconsin this week. One of the benefits of moving around every few years has been all the wonderful, wonderful friends we've made. The hymn, "Each Life That Touches Ours for Good," has been playing in my brain this week.
Each life that touches ours for good
Reflects thine own great mercy, Lord.
Thou sendest blessings from above
Thru words and deeds of those who love.
What greater gift dost thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christ-like friends whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.
When such a friend from us departs,
We hold forever in our hearts
A sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.
For worthy friends whose lives proclaim
Devotion to the Savior's name,
Who bless our days with peace and love,
We praise they goodness, Lord above.
Thank you friends, for truly being blessings in my life!


4 Comments:
Harmony I loved reading this post!!! It must off been fun to have Enoch, Tasha and the kids down there. It always fun to watch Cousins play together!!! Thank you for talking about changes, with so many happening to us this summer it was nice to hear that you make wonderful friends where ever you move. Joseph leaves next Sunday for OBC down in St. Antonia and bore his testimony today for the last time in our ward here. Even though I have six more weeks here, I got emotional because it finally hit me that I would be leaving so many dear friends.
Sorry for going on but I just wanted to say thanks for sharing that hymn, it really help settle some of my nerves! Half of me is excited the other is scared of such a long move.
You are welcome Anjuli. You are starting on a wonderful adventure! My experience is that moving is hard and very stressful, but it gets easier every time, in part because of all the wonderful friends you make. Best wishes to you guys in all your changes!
I love that song! It may seem a bit morbib, but when I was like 16 years old I picked that song to be sung at my funeral. I decided it would give me something to work towards. (meaning that I wanted people to be able to sing it without feeling like hypocrites) The harmonies are beautiful too!
Funny Jeri, I was just thinking the other day that I would pick that hymn for my funeral too. Hope I can live up to it as well.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home