Tuesday, November 27, 2007

How many light bulbs do you have?

A piece on NPR radio yesterday about CO2 output/carbon footprint/waste/energy consumption motivated me to count how many light bulbs we have in our house. I'm no enviromentalist--the Doctrine and Covenants says, "For the earth is full, and there is enough and to spare" (D&C 104:17), but I still think recycling and conservation of our natural resources are good ideas. I guess I just wasn't raised to be wasteful. Anyway, we have 63 light bulbs in our house, which is only about a third of the 174 light bulbs in the house of the family in Dallas that was mentioned in the NPR piece. I didn't count how many of our 63 bulbs are the energy-saving compact fluorescent kind, but we've been switching over to those as the others burn out (except in the light fixtures where the bulbs show and the CF bulbs would look tacky).

Labels:

3 Comments:

At November 27, 2007 at 9:25 PM , Blogger Tasha said...

I count 44 in my house counting all the light bulbs outside...

 
At November 27, 2007 at 11:33 PM , Blogger Harmony said...

Ah, your eco footprint is smaller than mine. Congratulations. :-) Did you count the ones in the fridge and freezer?

 
At November 28, 2007 at 8:45 PM , Blogger Holly said...

Ok, just be careful with those flourescent lightbulbs, because they have traces of mercury in them and if they break you have to clean them up in a very sanitary way. (Nothing is easy any more, is it.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home