Thursday, June 7, 2007

That's the Ball Season

Possibly you thought our baseball season would never end, but it has. Ryan had his last teeball game this past Monday evening. He had a good season and really enjoyed himself. His skills will need some work as he moves into coach pitch next year, but he's really picked up on the rules and how the game is played. I think he's actually learned more from watching Adam's games than he has from playing teeball. He basically taught himself to read the same way, by watching as Adam did his homework. He's a pretty sharp cookie.

Adam's team finished off their season tonight on a bit of a low note. They didn't look very sharp, maybe because it was 90 degrees plus outside today. Mercifully the scoreboard stopped working in the middle of the game, when the score was 10-5, so we really don't know how bad they lost. I think their final record of 9 wins and 6 losses doesn't really tell what a good year they had. All their players from last year really led the team, and the younger boys who joined the team this year made a lot of progress. Adam will miss getting to play with them next year. It was a good group of players, coaches, and parents. He was 1 for 2 with a single tonight, so his batting average for the season was .765 (26 for 34, 21 singles and 5 doubles). I am proud of him for doing so well and for being a good sport most of the time. I'm not one of those parents who think that sports are the be all and end all of their children's lives (and there are a few of those around here), but I do think it's a good for kids to participate in team sports and have those character building experiences of working and cooperating with others towards a common goal, and doing it with a good attitude.

There, now you've had your last baseball update...until next spring. :-)

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At June 8, 2007 at 6:24 PM , Blogger Anjuli said...

I will miss the baseball updates, I can't wait until my boys are playing some sport probably soccer because thats what I played and Joseph but we will see. I completly agree with you about team sports but not making it your life.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home