Size Inflation?
I've really needed some new shorts or capris since our Texas summer started kicking in. Jeff quickly agreed that I needed some new clothes and kindly volunteered to watch all four kids last Saturday so I could go do some shopping on my own. (About the only thing I dislike more than shopping is shopping with kids.) So I tried Academy Sports & Outdoors first, a store with a surprisingly large selection of nice, cute clothes for a sporting goods store. Now other than when I've been pregnant, I've pretty much worn the same size pants for most of my adult life. Occasionally I've even been able to fit in the next smaller size, depending on the brand and style of pants. So I looked at the racks of shorts and capris, and all of them in "my size" looked huge. So I picked up about five pair in the next smaller size and headed to the fitting rooms. None of them fit! They were all at least an inch too big around the waist, probably two. I went through this process three times, with different brands and styles, all with the same result. About this point I started getting annoyed and frustrated. First of all, shopping is not my favorite thing to do (have I mentioned that before?!), so I wasn't really enjoying myself much to begin with. Secondly, they didn't have any pants in the size two sizes smaller than "my size," or I would have tried them even though I've never worn that size. I was tempted to go look in the juniors department, but I learned that lesson long ago--junior sizes just don't fit the hips of women (especially those who've had a baby or two or more), and they are generally too trendy for my taste anyway--I've long grown out of the need to be in whatever the style is this year that won't still be in next year. So, discouraged, but not ready to give up, I left Academy and went to JCPenney where I know they have "petite" sizes that fit my body style, i.e., short.
Not wanting to waste any more time, I started out with the size smaller than "my size," in petite this time. Again, they didn't have any pants in the size two sizes smaller than "my size." I probably tried on another fifteeen pair of pants in various styles and brands, and, thank goodness, finally found two pair that fit relatively well and, I thought, looked relatively cute. I bought them, and two shirts to go with them. Now JCPenney does have petites, but the selection was pretty poor. Hoping to find something else, I went next door to Old Navy. Agh, more frustration. I guess "Low Waist" and "Ultra Low Waist" are what's in, because that was all they had. Low waist pants either don't fit my body style or they don't fit my wardrobe--I won't do the bare belly thing, for several reasons that probably don't need to be spelled out. At this point, four hours after I started and way past lunch time, I gave up and went home.
Now I admit that it's probably been a couple of years since I last shopped for pants, partially due to being pregnant for a significant length of that time. So have sizes been inflated that much in two years, or am I just imagining things? Do clothing manufacturers/ retailers/marketers really think we are that stupid? That ranks right up there with switching ice cream from half gallons to 1.75 quart containers, charging the same price and thinking we won't notice! I've never been one for conspiracy theories, but I'm beginning to wonder if the clothing establishment is in cahoots with the soft drink companies. They're trying to make us think we can drink 20 more ounces of empty calories because hey, I'm two sizes smaller than I thought I was!
You may have figured out by now what size I am...was...whatever. If so, and you're disgusted, I apologize. I credit my Burton metabolism for that. Thanks for letting me rant anyway. I've been supersized out of pants, for goodness sake!


9 Comments:
I think you're right about the pant sizes. I think they have been altered. And I think it's been done just to make fat Americans feel better about themselves. I have a wardrobe that has at least 4 different sizes that all fit me about the same. My older clothes are larger sizes and my newer ones claim smaller sizes. And yet, they all fit me the same. Strange indeed. One thing I do like is the new style of Bermuda shorts. AKA, shorts that actually go to the knee. Thank goodness I can stop shopping in the men's department for shorts that are long enough.
Not disgusted - just very, very envious.
carolyn hit the nail on the head. they are attempting to make the increasingly overweight population (of which I am closer to being in than I would like to admit) feel okay about their weight. My husband (who buys the majority of my clothes since I HATE shopping and he actually seems to enjoy it) get frustrated cause he's never sure which size is going to fit./ he's always saying women's pants should be marked like men's, in actual inches, then you know exactly what you are buying. I agree 100%!
I saw a HILARIOUS sign in the dressing room at the local Knee Shorts store. it spoke about the difference in "sizes" - between brands etc, and said in effect, "find a pair that fits you, then feel free to use a permanent marker at home and write in whatever size you want then to be on the tag." I laughed land laughed.
Good, I'm glad I'm not starting to imagine things.
Jeri, Jeff buys a lot of my clothes too. Isn't it great?! I love the Knee Shorts sign. I actually do that with my kids clothes so I know what box to put the hand-me-downs in so they will fit when I pull them out again. Little kids clothes sizes have always been inconsistent, but I never thought I'd have to do it with my clothes too.
Hey--I'm ALL ABOUT the size inflation trend!
I've probably gained 15 pounds in the past 13-15 years, but you wouldn't know it to look at the size marking on my jeans or dresses. Charlotte may be getting bigger, but the tag still stays the same.
I love it!
;-)
(I won't even make you guess--I wear size 12, and have done so since the SUU days. These days I can even sometimes squeeze into a size 10--although at times I need a 14)
Waaah.
You'll find no sympathy here. Put me in the disgusted column. And Jeff buys your clothes?!?! Amazingly my opinion of him has sunk even lower. A feat I did not think possible ;-)
I also find myself the victim of size inflation, only it's not the size of the pants that is inflating.
Why didn't I get the Burton metabolism? The loud voice, over speaking people yes, but dang I want that metabolism! LOL hmm...I'm not sure about your theory, its possible but I do fit in a normal size, sometime one down from what I used to but never 2! Lucky duck!
I am totaly late to the game, but Harmony I just had to say I UNDERSTAND!
I have friends who have no sympathy and just don't undertand what it is like to have that experiance. I did recently and was ready to spend just about any amount of money to find shorts that weren't junior low rides that actually fit!
OK, first off, I'm a guy. But, the same thing is happening in mens' pants. I've worn a 34 inch waist for as long as I can remember but lately, the 34 inch waist pants are huge on me! If I hold them next to an older pair of mine, there is at least an extra inch or two of waist material present. So much for the simple mens' sizing scheme....
All this to make fat people feel normal.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home