Happy New Year!
My life seems to go in cycles, roughly equivalent to school semesters. I suppose that might have something to do with the fact that 5/6ths of my family are either students or teachers. Fall semester always seems to be the craziest and most stressful for me, thanks in part to the holidays and four family birthdays. Since I realized this a few years ago, I've made a concerted effort to simplify my life and reduce stress between September and December. I have not yet completely succeeded, but I think I did better than ever this year. Yay me! It helped me this year to think of all the Christmas activities in terms of another birthday celebration--for Jesus Christ. That was inspired by this quote from President Dieter F. Uchtdorf in the December 2010 Ensign:
"Let us all make this year’s Christmas season a time of rejoicing and celebration, a time when we acknowledge the miracle that our Almighty God sent His Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ, to redeem the world!"
We enjoyed Christmas at my parents' home this year. It's not very fun to haul Christmas stuff, but it was great to spend time with grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. We also enjoyed the annual Packer family Christmas party with Jeff's extended family on New Year's Eve.
I suppose it's time to think about New Year's resolutions and all that, but I haven't had much time to slow down and do anything that resembles introspection. As soon as most of the festivities were over, it was time to get our Primary ready for the New Year. I expect chaos on the first Sunday of the year, and I think that is turning out to be a good strategy. I was pleasantly surprised when everything came together fairly well today, with only a few minor glitches. (I am VERY grateful for a counselor who can fill in when a music person doesn't show.) We'll make little adjustments as we go, but so far, so good. I love the scriptures and I am so excited to focus on them in Primary this year!
My kids go back to school tomorrow, which is a good thing. Two weeks ago I was glad to have them come home and not have to deal with the normal school routine. Now, after too many late nights and too much TV and video games, we all need the routine again. Maybe things will even calm down enough for me to set a couple of realistic goals. One of them might be breakfast related. We are all tired of cold cereal, so I'm looking for quick, easy, and nutritious breakfast ideas for school days. All suggestions welcome!
Happy 2011!
Labels: Christmas, family, goals, holidays, New Year's, Primary


3 Comments:
Wait cereal isn't a good breakfast?! Just kidding, that is all we had growing up so my poor family misses out!!
I hate cereal. I drink green smoothies every morning. But my kids like scrambled eggs in a croissant for breakfast.
Sorry we didn't get to see you guys over Christmas! Sometimes I do eggs in a frame for Corbin for breakfast for something different or he sometimes requests s cheese omelet. Good luck, I'd like a few new suggestions too. Mostly all we have time for is cold cereal or yogurt with a cereal bar. Hope you have a great New Year!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home