Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Secret Garden

The Secret GardenThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I saw the musical adaptation of this book with my in-laws a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, but I had never read the book. I picked it up on the recommendation of two good friends, and I'm so glad I did. I love it! I love the descriptions of the flowers and gardens and life. They made me want to go outside and grow things! I love the transformations of Colin and Mary and Mr. Craven. I love the undertone of Magic, of a Creator who from whom all our blessings flow. This is now one of my favorite books! (Thank you Charlotte and Jeri!)

Two profound quotes about things I've learned the hard way:

"One of the new things people began to find out in the last century was that thoughts--just mere thoughts--are as powerful as electric batteries--as good for one as sunlight is, or as bad for one as poison. To let a sad thought or a bad one get into your mind is as dangerous as letting a scarlet fever germ get into your body. If you let it stay there after it has got in you may never get over it as long as you live."

"Much more surprising things can happen to any one who, when a disagreeable or discouraged thought comes into his mind, just has the sense to remember in time and push it out by putting in an agreeable determinedly courageous one. Two things cannot be in one place. 'Where, you tend a rose, my lad, A thistle cannot grow.'"

View all my reviews

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At May 9, 2011 at 7:18 AM , Blogger Jake said...

I read through that article you linked last week. To be honest the ideas in the article are too much of a sprinkling for me to form any opinions. I may just have to read his book. How's that for a noncommittal answer? I do wonder if some of his ideas are even feasable without tort reform. I would love to have my patient's do more on their own. It seems stupid that so many of my patient's come in to have their INR checked when they could easily have the machine to do it on their own. Or for that matter why can't they adjust their blood pressure medicine based on the readings they get on their own machine each morning. If they mess up I'm on the line because I ok'd it and I'm not sure many physicians are ready to do that with more than a few select patients.

Sorry about the long, poorly punctuated, response.

 
At May 9, 2011 at 9:33 AM , Blogger The Bullknitter said...

I love The Secret Garden too. I read it when I was in elementary school and reread it to my 6 year old. Re: skiing. The resorts are closing here even though there is still tons of snow in mountains. I guess maybe because they are staffed by Australians and their visas expire? Can you PM me your email via FB since I got a new computer and all my addresses are on the old one and I don't know how to bring them over? Thanks.

 
At May 11, 2011 at 9:19 PM , Blogger Jerilynn said...

Its one of the few books, I've read more than once. Loved it as a child, and still do.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home